News

Robert Redford announces retirement, says the latest film will be his last

Actor Robert Redford addresses the media at an opening day news conference for the Sundance Film Festival at the Egyptian Theatre in Park City, Utah, January 16, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Urquhart (UNITED STATES – Tags: ENTERTAINMENT) – RTX17GWN

(Reuters)

Well-known actor Robert Redford is promoting his new film and saying goodbye to the profession that he has done for 60 years. The star revealed that he feels that the time has come for him to retire from acting.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Redford, 82, was the discussion of his new film, “The Old Man And The Gun” as he revealed that he’ll make good on his 2016 promise to take the act after two films.

“Never say never, but I’m pretty well to the conclusion that this would be for me in terms of acting, and [I will] move in the direction of retirement after this ‘because I have done since I was 21. I thought, ‘Well, that’s enough,” he said. “And why not go with something that is very optimistic and positive?”

It is worth noting that the star seems to have his mind about acting. The outlet notes that he won a Best Director Academy Award in 1980 for “Ordinary People”. Since then, he had eight movies, and still not close the door on directing a movie before he steps away from work completely.

“We’ll see,” he said.

For what it could very well be his last acting credit, Redford plays Forrest Tucker, a real-life career criminal who robbed 17 banks, was arrested 17 times, caught 17 times and escaped from prison 17 times.

“For me that was a great character to play at this point in my life,” Redford said.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular