News

Pulse nightclub victims sue Orlando, the police for the alleged violation of the civil rights

More than 35 survivors and families of the victims of the Pulse nightclub attack came together to announce they have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city and the police of Orlando.

(Reuters/Scott Audette)

It is almost two years since a gunman took the lives of 49 people in a nightclub in Orlando, Florida. On Thursday, more than 35 survivors and families of victims came together to announce they have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city, a security guard working in the Pulse and the Orlando Police Department.

The suit is accompanied by members of the family of the six people who were killed, 20 people were injured, and Omar Delgado, one of the first police officers who went inside Pulse, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

On June 12, 2016, Omar Mateen walked into the nightclub Orlando and killed 49 people, wounding 53 others, before he was killed by the police.

The defendants violated federal civil rights laws, because they are not directly in the building when the shooter was in the middle of his attack, the lawsuit claims, according to WKMG-TV.

“The city of Orlando demonstrated deliberate indifference to these people by not training their officers,” lawyer Wayne Pollack, who represents the victims, said.

The lawsuit claims the “defendants choose to have the patrons of the club to be slaughtered while these suspects is only guaranteed that they were safe,” according to the Orlando Sentinel.

According to the lawsuit, who were unharmed in the shooting were “caught and taken to a law enforcement facility” and forbidden to use the toilet, get food, water or contact with their families, WKMG reported.

Orlando police do not respond immediately to a request for comment from Fox News on Thursday.

Noor Salman, Mateen’s wife, was found not guilty earlier this year of obstruction and the provision of material support to a terrorist organization. The jury foreman said jurors were “convinced” of Salman knew that her husband was planning an attack beforehand, but had “no option but to return a verdict of not guilty.”

Fox News’ Benjamin Brown and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Kaitlyn Schallhorn is a Reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter @K_Schallhorn.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular