Protest after Chicago cops fatally shoot armed man leads to 4 arrests, police say

A protest erupted Saturday evening after a Chicago police officer fatally shot a man on the city’s South side.

(Fox 32 Chicago)

Chicago police fatally shot an armed man Saturday night, igniting a protest in the neighborhood of the scene in the city’s South Shore neighborhood that led to four arrests, officials said.

Officers on foot attempted to question the man when the confrontation developed, and he was shot, Chicago Police spokesman Anthony guglielmi said.

The police said the man had his “exhibit the characteristics of an armed person.”

The tense situation after the Chicago Police shoot and kill a man in South Shore. The police say that there was a confrontation and he was armed @dsplacko on the scene

— FOX 32 News (@fox32news) July 15, 2018

They later determined that the man was carrying a semi-automatic weapon for which he does not have a concealed carry permit, and also had magazines of ammunition, Chicago Police Patrol Chief Fred Waller told reporters.

“The bulge around his waistband” said the unknown man was armed.

A man died Saturday evening in the South Shore neighborhood after he was shot by the police, according to the Chicago Fire Department. No officers were injured.

This story will be updated when more information is available:

— Chicago Tribune (@chicagotribune) July 14, 2018

The man became aggressive and finally broke free of the officers, Waller said.

“They thought he seemed to be for the reach of a weapon, that he had a weapon on him, and the officers tragically shot him,” he said.

The man was thought to be in his 30s, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. He was pronounced dead at Jackson Park Hospital, a Chicago Fire spokesman said.

No police officers were injured, guglielmi said.

Some people claimed that he was a female officer shot the man at least five times in the back as he ran away, the newspaper reported.

The situation seriously escalated when Chicago police officers moved their line forward. Officers press several protesters with batons, and demonstrators hit officers back. I have not seen a police scene this tense since Laquon McDonald.

— Nader Issa (@NaderDIssa) July 15, 2018

They said the officer was taken away from the scene in a vehicle of the police as a crowd of about 100 people formed immediately after the shooting.

The size of the crowd was a tense situation, where protesters fought with the police, who then cordoned off area.

A short brawl broke out between the chanting of protesters and police holding batons.

“It’s a little out of hand. A few arrests were made,” Waller said.

Guglielmi tweeted that four protesters were arrested.

Fox 32 Chicago

(Some protesters fought with the police, who then cordoned off the area on Saturday, July 14, 2018.)

The Sun-Times reported that the officers hit at least a man with a baton, while some protesters struck back and others threw glass bottles at officers.

A number of people were injured from rocks and bottles thrown, guglielmi tweeted.

The Chicago Tribune reported that a chaotic scene erupted as the crowd chanted “Murderers!”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Amy’s Place is a news editor and reporter for Fox News.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular