Prosecutors: Synagogue attacker had 50 unfired bullets

John T. Ernst appears for his arraignment hearing Tuesday, April 30, 2019, in San Diego. Serious faces charges of murder and attempted murder in the April 27 attack on the Chabad of Poway synagogue, which killed one woman and three people injured, including the rabbi. (Nelvin C. Cepeda/The San Diego Union-Tribune via AP, Pool)

POWAY, Calif. – The man accused of attacking a Southern California synagogue fired only eight to 10 of the approximately 60 bullets which he had before his weapon jammed, prosecutors said Tuesday.

John T. Ernst, 19, pleaded not guilty to the charges of murder and attempted murder in the shooting that happened Saturday during the Passover service at the Chabad of Poway synagogue. A woman was killed and three people injured, including the rabbi.

Ernst was arrested shortly after the attack with 50 unfired rounds, a tactical vest and helmet, prosecutors said during his arrest.

At the hearing, a bespectacled Ernst stood behind a glass panel, wearing a blue prison clothes and showing no visible emotion. He spoke only one word — “yes” to waive his right to a speedy preliminary hearing.

The judge scheduled a status hearing for May 30 and bail is denied, call Sincerely a extreme threat to public safety.

Ernst was an accomplished student, entrepreneur, and musician whose embrace of white supremacy and anti-Semitism is dumbfounded his family and others, who thought they knew him well.

He made the dean’s list both semesters last year as a nursing student at California State University in San Marcos. In high school, he had stellar grades, she swam on the varsity team and enjoyed the applause of classmates for his piano solos on his talent shows.

Ernst apparently was radicalized sometime in the past two years. He is also accused of arson in connection with an attack last month on a mosque in the near Escondido.

Owen Cruise, 20, saw Severity every day during the last year of the Mt. Carmel High School in San Diego when the two were in mathematics and physics together. They were also both in the school amateur radio club.

Earnie’s piano performances attracted the audience to their feet.

His father, John A. Ernst, is a popular physics teacher at Mt. Carmel, where he has worked for 31 years.

“The way in which John T. acted is not representative of the way he was excited,” Cruise said. “They are an excellent family. Some of the finest people I have ever met.”

The suspect of the parents said that their son and five brothers and sisters were brought up in a family that “rejected hatred and learned that love must be the motive for everything we do.”

“To our great shame, he is now part of the history of the evil that is perpetrated on the Jewish people for centuries,” the parents said Monday in their first public comments. “Our son’s actions were informed by people we don’t know, and ideas which we do not possess.”

The parents, who cooperate with investigators, refused to provide legal representation for their son, and he was represented by a public defender.

Serious cracks in the synagogue on the last day of the Passover, an important Jewish holiday that celebrates freedom, and opened fire with an assault-style rifle at the crowd of about 100.

He fled when the gun jammed, according to authorities and witnesses, the avoidance of an Army soldier and an off-duty Border Patrol agent who pursued him. He called 911 to report the shooting and gave a short time later.

Lori Kaye , one of the founders of the congregation, was killed. Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein was a shot in the hands, while Noya Dahan, 8, and her uncle Almog Peretz suffered wounds from shrapnel.

Kaye, 60, was remembered for her kindness Monday at a memorial service at the packed synagogue in Poway, a well-to-do suburb north of San Diego.

An online in writing by a person to identify himself as John, Seriously, and published, shortly before the attack spewed hatred of Jews and praised the perpetrators of the attacks on mosques in New Zealand killed 50 people in the last month and in Pittsburgh, and the Tree of Life synagogue, killed on 11 Oct. 27.

Ernst visited 8chan, a dark corner of the web where these are not used by the regular social media sites often post extremist, racist and violent views.

“I’ve been here lurking for a year and a half, but what I’ve learned here is priceless. It’s been an honor,” he wrote.

Seriously, who apparently intended to use the livestream of the attack, said he was planning the attack for four weeks.

“If you told me even 6 months ago that I would do this I would be surprised,” Ernst wrote.

The FBI said it received tips about a social media post threatening violence against the Jews, about five minutes before 11:30 hours the attack.

The tips to a FBI website, hotline and a link to the anonymous post, but don’t have specific information about the author or the location of the threat. The agency said that the worker tried to determine who wrote it, but the shooting occurred before they could determine his identity.


Associated Press writers Michael Balsamo in Washington, R. J. Rico, Atlanta, and Amy Taxin in Poway, contributed to this report.


This story has been corrected to show that the rabbi’s first name is spelled Yisroel, not Yishoel.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular