Yoga has become more and more popular with time and is an excellent exercise regimen for people of all ages.
The benefits of yoga are well known, but it is very important to use caution with some yoga positions.
Besides the many pros, yoga has certain cons as well. Let’s discuss some of the pros and cons of Yoga.
- Yoga works on the entire body. Besides obvious differences on the outside, it helps improve the internal functions by allowing the blood to flow more freely to all the organs.
- Yoga increases flexibility and strength. It helps a rigid body to become flexible. The more you practice, the stronger and more flexible you will become.
- Yoga helps alleviate pain. A lot of physical therapists these days are recommending Yoga to help alleviate pain.
- Yoga transforms flabby muscles. Stronger muscles help tone your body and get rid of excess fat.
- Yoga helps detoxify the body and eliminates toxins by increasing blood flow to all areas of the body.
- Yoga helps relieve stress. This is amongst the biggest benefits of Yoga. Due to the breathing and stretching techniques performed during Yoga, you are actually able to feel the stress leaving the body.
- Yoga can help stabilize emotions. By practicing yoga, you will find yourself in a meditative state that will help your endocrine system. No other exercise can do this as well as Yoga.
- Yoga harmonizes the mind and body as one. With the mind aware of what the body is doing, you are able to reap the benefits of a complete mind and body workout.
- Yoga works very well on arthritic areas. In case someone is suffering from arthritis, yoga will help stretch the muscles so that they are able to move more freely.
- With so many advantages of yoga, the disadvantages are few. However, it is important to know the cons as well.
- It is very important to use caution while practicing the yoga headstands. According to some optometrists, yoga headstands could cause glaucoma. However, there are not enough studies to confirm this.
- Bikram Yoga, also called hot yoga, is performed in a hot room. According to some doctors, this is not good for the body, whereas others claim that it is indeed good.
- Dahn Yoga is another form of yoga that includes a lot of counting and chanting, but with no focus on breathing which is the core of yoga. Therefore it is best to stick to the basics.
- Overall, yoga can strengthen the muscles, relieve stress and promote good health.