News

Port Authority bomb suspect pleads ‘at this point, not guilty”

Akayed Ullah, center, listens to the U. S. District Court Judge Richard J. Sullivan if he is indicted in the last month of the failed bombing attempt on the subway of New York

(Jane Rosenberg)

A Bangladeshi immigrant accused of attempting to bomb the New York city subway system, told a federal judge Thursday that he was “not at this time guilty of the charges against him.

Akayed Ullah was indicted Wednesday on six counts, including providing material aid to a terrorist organization, and the use of a weapon of mass destruction.

Ullah was the only person on Dec. 11, when he tried to blow himself up in a corridor connects the subway to the Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan during the morning rush hour.

Video

Port Authority bomber: Who is Akayed Ullah?

The explosive strapped to Ullah’s body was described by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo as “effective low-tech.” Law enforcement officials said the device was lit with a Christmas light, matches and a nine volt battery, but not to an explosion powerful enough to kill or seriously injure someone else.

Ullah suffered burns and wounds to his abdomen and hands, and made his first appearance in the last month via video link from a hospital bed.

Video

New york Port Authority terror explosion: What we know

Authorities said Ullah reviled President Donald Trump on Facebook prior to his failed attack, writing, “Trump you failed to protect the nation” and “O America, die in your rage.” The president later demanded tightened immigration rules in response to the failed attack.

According to the prosecutor, Ullah said that the attack was “for the Islamic State [ISIS],” and a response to U.S. military actions in the Middle East.

Fox News’ Tamara Gitt and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular