Police: Suspect dead after wounding 3 Kansas City officers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A man being investigated in the killing of a university student from India shot and injured three Kansas City police Sunday for the die in an exchange of gunfire with police, authorities said.

The three officers’ injuries were not life-threatening, police said.

The suspect, whose name has not been released, was identified as a person of interest in killing of Sharath Koppu and officers had him under surveillance, police said. Koppu, 25, is a master’s degree student from India, studying at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Koppu was shot on July 6, during an armed robbery at a fast food restaurant in Kansas City, where he worked.

Jagdeesh Subramanian, president of the indian Association of Kansas City, said that the group would like to thank the police for the pursuit of Koppu’s shooting diligently, and that “there is a number of closure” with the person of interest died.

“We are just so discouraged to hear about the three officers who were shot in the chase,” Subramanian said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them for a speedy recovery.”

The man was wanted by the police in connection with Koppu the death of the fire opened on Sunday afternoon at officers with a semi-automatic “AK-47” type rifle as they carried out an investigation at a motel less than 2 miles (3 km) of Kauffman Stadium, where the Kansas City Royals baseball team plays, police spokesman Sgt. Jake Becchina told The Associated Press. Two agents were wounded in that gunfire.

The police was looking for the man of the whole week, Kansas City police Chief Rick Smith told reporters in a video posted online by KCTV .

“This is the first time we laid eyes on him,” Smith said.

After the shooting of the two officers, the man fled in a car with another person, Becchina said. The police took the car and the other person is in custody, although Becchina said that the individual is not believed to be involved in the fatal robbery, or the shooting of the officers.

The shooter remained at large until about an hour or so later, when he opened fire on officers from inside the house where he had barricaded himself within a short distance of the motel, police said. A detective was shot.

“We didn’t know he was there. He just popped up all of a sudden,” Smith said.

Becchina said about 15 minutes later, the man came out of the house, and again opened fire. Officers fired back, fatally wounding him.

Koppu, the university who was killed in the shooting that the police were to investigate, was a software engineer who came from India to the United States in January, according to a GoFundMe page set up by his family. Raghu Chowdavaram, a cousin, told The Kansas City Star newspaper after Koppu’s death, that Koppu was a “perfect gentleman” who would not hurt.

Subramanian said the robbery and the fatal shooting of Koppu appeared random, and unfortunately “it could have happened to anyone.”

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular