PHOENIX – The man arrested in a series of serial murders left behind shell casings on the different scenes that the authorities tested and linked him to the crimes, police said in documents released Friday that the most detailed story to date about a case that unnerved Phoenix quarters of last year.
The documents were released after media organizations to court in an attempt to prosecution unseal the evidence that led to the arrest of the 23-year-old Aaron Saucedo in nine murders.
The police says that in one of his murders, Saucedo opened fire on a man along a Phoenix street on new year’s day 2016, and then got out of his car and kicked him two times before quietly driving away. The documents also say surveillance video recorded from a July 2016 scene determined that the shooter’s car was a 5-series BMW — the same model that Saucedo reed.
Saucedo forward as a possible perpetrator, just a few weeks after the last of the nine shootings. Two witnesses told authorities in August 2016, that Saucedo matches a composite sketch of the suspect and drove a BMW looks like a seen in the crimes committed. Detectives interrogated him in December about five months before he was arrested.
In the interview, Saucedo told authorities he drove a BMW and be in possession of a 9mm gun, which he said had been stolen.
Saucedo told a judge last week “I am innocent” in the hours after he was arrested.
Police say Saucedo randomly opened fire on people after dark, especially in a large Latino neighborhood in Phoenix. Many residents responded by staying in the dark as the police fielded thousands of tips.
Police say his victims include a 21-year-old man whose girlfriend was pregnant with their son, and a 12-year-old girl was shot to death, along with her mother and a friend of the woman. No motive has been established. Saucedo only knew one of the victims.