WASHINGTON – The Pentagon is allowing transgender people to enlist in the military early Jan. 1, despite President Donald Trump’s of the opposition.
The new policy reflects the growing legal pressure on the issue, and the difficult obstacles, the federal government would have to cross to force the Advantage, though, is the question to put a ban on transgender individuals from the military. Two federal courts have already spoken out against the ban. Potential transgender recruits will have to be a long and stringent set of physical, medical and mental conditions which make it possible, though it is difficult for them to be a member of the armed forces.
Maj. David Eastburn, a Pentagon spokesman, says that the call of transgender recruits start Jan. 1 and go to the middle of the legal battles. The Ministry of Defense is also studying the problem.
Eastburn told The Associated Press on Monday that the new guidelines mean that the Pentagon can disqualify potential recruits with gender dysphoria, a history of the medical treatments associated with gender transition and those who underwent reconstruction. But these recruits are allowed if a medical service provider declares they are clinically stable in the recommended sex for 18 months and are free of any significant problems or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas.
Transgender persons that hormone therapy should also be stable on their medication for 18 months.
The requirements make it challenging for a transgender recruit. But they mirror concerns President Barack Obama laid out at the Pentagon in the first instance lifted the ban on transgender service last year.
The Pentagon has similar restrictions for recruits with a variety of medical or psychological disorders, such as bipolar disorder.
“Because of the complexity of this new medical standard, trained medical officers in the execution of a medical prescreen of transgender candidates for the military service, which otherwise meet all applicable applicant standards,” Eastburn said.
Last year, when Secretary of Defense Ash Carter ended the ban on transgender service members, so they openly in the military. He said that within 12 months of July 2017 — transgender people also would be able to access the service.
Trump, however, tweeted in July that the federal government “will not accept or allow transgender troops to serve “in any capacity” in the army. A month later he issued a formal order telling the Pentagon to extend the ban. He gave the ministry six months to determine what to do about those currently serving.
Trump’s decision was quickly challenged, and two U. S. district court judges have already spoken out against the ban. A part of a decision requires the government to allow transgender individuals to enlist early Jan. 1.
The government had asked that the Jan. 1 requirement can be set, while the appeal of the revenue. The Pentagon move Monday signals the growing sense within the government that the authorities are likely to lose the legal battle.
“The controversy is not about whether you transgender enlistees, it is going to be on what conditions,” said Brad Carson, who was closely involved in the last administration of the decisions. “That’s really where the controversy will lie.”
Carson worried, however, that the Ministry of Defence could choose to meet a deadline so that transgender recruits, but under such onerous conditions, that practically there will be no.” Carson, who worked for Carter as the acting assistant secretary of defense for personnel, said 18 months of stability in the desired gender is a reasonable amount of time.
“It has no basis in science,” he said, noting that the experts have suggested six months is enough. “But as a compromise between competing interests, and perhaps the certain for the uncertain, 18 months was what people came around. And that is a reasonable position, and defensible.”