News

Pennsylvania mother charged after toddler fentanyl-laced drink in sippy cup, police say

Jhenea Pratt, 23, was arrested and charged in April death of her 17-month-old daughter.

(Pittsburgh Police)

A Pennsylvania mother was charged Friday after police discovered her daughter died after ingestion of a drink tainted with fentanyl in a sippy cup.

Jhenea Pratt, 23, was arrested and accused of murder, and where the welfare of a child after the death of her daughter, Charlette Napper-Talley, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. Police officers discovered the 17-month-old girl was found not breathing in April at Pratt’s apartment in Pittsburgh’s East Hills neighborhood.

A pink cup with a red liquid was discovered on the toddler bed.

The child was taken to the hospital, where she later died.

Authorities carried out tests and found fentanyl in Charlette’s blood and on the sippy cup. On Friday, her death was ruled a homicide as a result of fentanyl poisoning.

In the run-up to Friday’s arrest, the researchers discovered Pratt, and her friend, Albert Williams, the boss of it all watch the girl on the day she died, the report stated, citing court documents. Williams said that he had given the girl fish fingers and a drink in her sippy cup earlier in the day, they went on to pick up Pratt at school and at home. Williams left shortly after the pickup of marijuana for Pratt.

close


Video

Fentanyl may have killed all the states in the USA this year

At 2-3 mg per lethal dose, the officials are afraid that this year the busts could kill entire state of the population.

The toddler seemed fine until Pratt gave her a drink in the sippy cup and put her down on the bed. The 23-year-old said that she smoked marijuana before the control over her daughter an hour later and finding her responding.

The researchers said Pratt had given the child the fentanyl-laced drink despite Williams gave her the sippy cup for the afternoon. If Charlette the drink had the drug in it when Williams gave it to her, the girl “would have died very shortly after the ingestion of [fentanyl],” according to the report.

“Jhenea Pratt was the only person present during the afternoon hours of that was with Charlette,” the statement said.

Pratt also told the authorities that her daughter may have died after drinking a fruit-flavored drink that “tasted funny to her.”

The couple denied the use, transport or storage of heroin or fentanyl.

Katherine Lam is a breaking and trending news digital producer for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter via @bykatherinelam

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular