News

Pence calls to be set up Space Force by 2020

in the vicinity


Video

Pence: to establish US Department of the Space Force

Vice-President Mike Pence says it’s time to prepare for the next battle field ” and the establishment of the United States Space Force as a sixth branch of the armed forces.

Vice President Pence on Thursday called for America to assert its dominance in the space, as he make a direct appeal to the Pentagon for a sixth military branch for this purpose and revealed the trump administration wants to create the “space of force” by 2020.

In a speech at the defense Ministry, he said that countries such as Russia, China, North Korea and Iran are pursuing the ways to “bring in new weapons of war in the space itself.”

“How your actions make clear, our opponents turned the space into a domain of warfighting, and the United States will not back prior to this challenge,” he said. “Under President Trump management, we will meet it head — to the defense of our nation, and the building of a peaceful future here on earth and in space.”

Trump said last week that he had ordered the Pentagon and begin the process of the creation of the space force as a new branch of the military.

Pence said on Thursday, it was an idea “whose time has come”, and made it clear that the White house wants to possible with the project as soon as. He waved to a new report by the Pentagon on the force, as a starting point.

“President Trump and I are grateful to the Secretary Mattis for this Department is care in the preparation of this report, and our government will soon take measures to the implementation of these recommendations, with the aim of establishing the United States Department of the Space Force by 2020,” he said.

He said that a new position would be created for an assistant secretary of defense for space travel.

“Create a new branch of the military is not a simple process. There is a need for the cooperation, diligence and, above all, leadership. As challenges occur and deadlines approach, there must be someone responsible that can run, hold others responsible, and is responsible for the results,” he said.

But the move has some signs of skepticism from the Defense Department. In a letter to Congress last year, Secretary James Mattis said that he was against the idea of a separate force, with the argument that it is “likely to be a narrow and parochial approach to space operations”, and said that a “properly integrated approach is better for the implementation of this mission.”

Earlier this week, Mattis signaled his support for a new Space Command to take a seat in addition to the existing commands, but didn’t want to say on the question of the creation of a separate service completely, it was a matter for the Congress.

He did, however, say that the Pentagon was in “complete agreement” with the White house.

“We are working our way through all of this. We are in competition with the agreement of the Vice-President the point man for the President on this, we work closely together on a daily basis with his office and with the Fans on Capitol Hill and in the appropriate fora,” he said. “We are with the work, what will the actual organization.”

“It is suitable for the intended purpose, what I can assure you, but I don’t have all the definitive answers yet, we are still together,” he said.

Fox News’ Lucas Tomlinson, Blake Burman and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Adam Shaw is a reporter covering the American and European politics for Fox News.. He can be reached.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular