News

Peace talks with Afghan, Taliban canceled after Trump announces secret meeting

nearvideo Secretary Pompeo on disaster relief in the Bahamas, peace talks with the Taliban, with Iran threat

Secretary of state Mike Pompeo joins anchor Chris Wallace on ” Fox News Sunday.’

The peace talks between the United States and leaders from Afghanistan and the Taliban were canceled after the Taliban admitted that they were behind a deadly bomb attack in Kabul last week, led to the death of a US soldier.

Secretary of state Mike Pompeo, said on Sunday that Taliban had “gone too far” and showed that they are trustworthy to move forward with a peace process at this point in time.

TRUMP SCRAPS OF SECRET MEETINGS WITH THE AFGHAN TALIBAN LEADER, AFTER DEADLY BOMB ATTACK

“What they did here was they tried to improve the terrorist, their negotiating position,” he told “Fox News Sunday.”

President, Trump revealed the existence of the planned talks and the repeal of Saturday night, reported that he had intended to hold a secret meeting at Camp David on Sunday, but called it because of the Taliban role in the attack.

Trump added that if the Taliban do not accept the entry of a cease-fire, “then you do not have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway.”

Pompeo echoed this, saying the administration is “looking for more than just words on paper” and that the Taliban has shown that they do not commit to peace at this time. Still, he said, peace talks could pick up again if this changes.

“I hope we can get it to start,” he said, saying it was up to the Taliban.

Host Chris Wallace pressed Pompeo on the idea that the President of the United States was willing to put up with the Taliban on US soil only a few days before the Sept. 11. The Secretary on the timing, but defended the invitation of the Taliban on Camp David.

“It is almost always the case,” he said, “is that you get to negotiate with the good guys.” Pompeo noted that President Trump “has always been someone who … is willing to take risks if he thinks he can deliver a good result for the American people.”

Rep. Thom Tillis, R-N. C., supported the trump card is to call the decision, from the discussions.

“I think the President was right to cancel the meeting,” Tillis Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures said.” He defends the initial plan for the talks, saying that President Trump was trying to fulfil his election promise to end the war in Afghanistan and bring U.S. soldiers home.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

After President Trump canceled Sunday, the Taliban the meeting issued a statement, vowing that this will lead to more American deaths.

“I hope this is not the case; we do not want more loss of American life,” said Pompeo.

Fox News’ Morgan Phillips and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular