News

Outrage grows over the police killing of Stephon Clark in Sacramento: ’20 photos than a mobile phone

close


Video

Stephon Clark’s brother says Sacramento failed the people

The brother of an unarmed black man who the police shot and killed in Sacramento led protesters in a meeting of the city council; chief correspondent Jonathan Hunt reports from Los Angeles.

Outrage is the deadly police shooting of a 22-year-old black man who is at his grandparents in the backyard, unarmed, earlier this month. The police had said that the officers were afraid for their safety, but critics have wondered why they chose not to resolve the situation with something significantly less deadly than a barrage of 20 bullets.

Stephon Clark was shot and killed March 18, after two Sacramento police officers were responding to a report of someone breaking car windows. The police said that they believed Clark was the defendant, and he ran like a police helicopter responded, fail officers to obey orders.

The police said that she thought that Clark was holding a gun, when he moved to them, but he was happy to be alone with a mobile phone.

The recording is moved to the Black Life Out of the movement back in the forefront. Two of the officers have been identified in the media, who say that a white and a black.

Stephon Clark, 22, was shot dead by the police in Zeist on March 18, after they messed with the phone in his hand for a “tool bar”.

Sgt. Vance Chandler of the Sacramento Police told Fox News, “At this point, the investigation is ongoing. Our department is committed to delivering the facts of this case and the conduct of a thorough, extensive, and honest research. We will continue to be transparent and update our community we have the latest information.”

It is rare for the police to be charged after a shooting, and even rarer for them to be convicted. Often that is because of the doctrine of the reasonable apprehension: as officers of justice or the referee is of the opinion that the officers have a reason to fear for their safety, they may use force up to and including deadly force.

Clark’s family have said they do not expect a resolution in their favor.

“…We appreciate the call, but a call, without implementation of a number of true reformation means nothing,” Clark’s uncle, Curtis Gordon, told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday. “It brought us to this moment, but what about tomorrow? What to think of next week?

He added: “You know, unfortunately, I have no confidence in America and the fact that I’m likely to hear another story sometime this year of an innocent life is lost in the excessive police. It is so common, that you’re numb.”

#BLM #Sacramento has once again blocked traffic in the center and in the cornered this driver trying to get home. #StephonClark pic.twitter.com/6aDu73eiJG

— Claudia Cowan (@ClaudiaCowan1) March 29, 2018

Demonstrations in California have grown since Clark’s death. The protesters were there Wednesday for Clark’s wake, and were expected on Thursday when the Rev. Al Sharpton plans to deliver the eulogy at Clark’s funeral.

“This feels like the ’60s, it doesn’t feel like 2018,” said Cynthia Brown, who said that she knows Clark’s grandfather, on the Wednesday, the public woke up. “We have definitely resolved.”

Protesters disrupted Sacramento city council meeting Tuesday night amid calls for justice, as Fox News previously reported. Clark’s brother, Stevante, together with other protesters, attended the beginning of the evening meeting, which was opened with a moment of silence for Clark and was intended to be his death.

Stevante Clark, together with other demonstrators, members of the Sacramento city council meeting Tuesday night opened with a moment of silence for the 22-year-old brother killed by the police.

(Copyright/Luis Villegas, The Sacramento Bee)

Chaos broke out as protesters banged on windows and shouted “Stephon Clark!” in the town hall rooms — and at a given moment, Stevante Clark jumped on the stage and shouted: “Shut the f – – -” to Mayor Darrell Steinberg, the Sacramento Bee reported.

In tears, 10-year-old Terrell Wilson said the city council about the reason why he feared the police.

“All he had was a mobile phone,” the boy said, according to The Los Angeles Times. “Twenty shots on a mobile phone.”

Protesters quickly from the Hall to the Golden 1 Center, home of the Sacramento Kings, and blocked the entrance to the Tuesday evening game against the Dallas Mavericks. Most of the fans were not to enter, and the team later released a statement saying refunds would be given. A number of fans that early on were let in and allowed to move down in the lower bowl of the arena. Although there is no official attendance was given, the crowd was estimated at about 4,000.

That is two times the number of people that are allowed in it last Thursday as activists from Black Lives Matter in the same way to protest, forming a human chain around the arena and the postponement of the start of the Kings’ game against the Atlanta Hawks.

The California attorney general’s office on Tuesday joined the research, a movement Sacramento police chief Daniel Hahn said that he hoped that “faith and transparency” to a case that he said has led to an “extremely high emotions, anger and pain in our city.”

Attorney-General Xavier Becerra’s office announced that it would provide a complete picture of the research and a review of the department of the police of the police policy and use-of-force training. The decision to bring criminal charges against the officers involved, remains with the prosecutor, Anne Marie Schubert, although Becerra said his office could also bring costs.

Black Life, From Sacramento said protesters have called for criminal prosecution against the officers who killed Clark.

Players of the Kings and the Boston Celtics on Sunday wore T-shirts with Clark’s name, along with the phrase: “Accountability. We are one.”

For that responsibility, Clark’s relatives to leave their faith.

UPDATE: We reported in the vigil for #StephonClark will be tomorrow from 1-8 pm. Out of respect for the family-we will not meet again tomorrow, but are determined to make sure that you are heard and we share information for upcoming meetings as it becomes available. pic.twitter.com/KgauI50yjy

— Darrell Steinberg (@Mayor_Steinberg) March 28, 2018

“We have faith in a spiritual world, in our Creator, to us unknown force,” Gordon said.

“We’ll make it through this. And that’s the thing, because it is bigger than us and we have to accept that. We carry that torch for Stephon.”

The NAACP and the National Action Network, said a two-hour funeral of Clark is set to begin at 11 a.m. Thursday at Bayside South san francisco Church. The Rev. Al Sharpton, president of National Action Network is set to speak, along with other clergy.

The NAACP said a wake is a set of 2 pm to 7 pm Wednesday at Bayside South san francisco Church.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular