FILE PHOTO: A sign for a local T-Mobile store is seen in downtown Manhattan, New York, New York, USA, on April 30, 2018. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton
(Ap) – Oregon has joined a multistate lawsuit to block the merger of AMERICAN wireless carrier T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.(O) and Sprint Corp (S. N), the New York attorney general’s office, which is leading the lawsuit along with the California, it said on Monday.
Fifteen states and the District of Columbia are now seeking to stop the merger, that is, the states argue, anti-competitive, and will cost residents more than $4.5 billion per year. The lawsuit, which is the most recent of which were added in Texas, the attorney general, the first Republican to do so.
“Oregon, in addition to our lawsuit, we are moving forward, and make sure that there is not a single region in this country that does not have to challenge the anti-competitive megamerger,” the New York Attorney General, Letitia James, said in a statement.
Earlier this month, a U.s. District Court in Manhattan, ordered that the investigation be delayed until the first of December. 9, in a victory for the state, who had said that they needed more time to investigate the merger.
“If unchallenged, the current plan will result in reduced access to affordable wireless service in Oregon as well as higher prices,” said Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum. “Not acceptable.”
The U.S. Department of Justice signed off on the deal last month, under the condition that the carriers divest and finish the pay as you go phone company, satellite TV provider Dish Network Corp’s (DISH.D) the creation of the fourth AMERICAN mobile operator.
T-Mobile has said that it does not intend to close the merger, as the states have court cases going on.
Report by Sheila Dang; editing by Jonathan Oatis