Oregon cop in critical condition after the deadly shootout with ex-cadet

Trooper Nic Cederberg was wounded during a shootout on Sunday.


An Oregon State Police officer remained in critical condition Tuesday morning after he was injured in a deadly christmas day shootout with an ex-police cadet caught in a domestic dispute.

Trooper Nic Cederberg, 32, a U.S. Army veteran, underwent surgery on Monday after he sustained multiple gunshot wounds during a gunfight with James Tylka, who died during the incident. Tylka was suspected of killing his wife and then leading police from three departments on a chase late Sunday in King City for the exchange of gunfire.


“We are also humbled by the support the community has given,” the Oregon State Police said in a Monday Facebook post. “Please Nic, his family and all his law enforcement colleagues in your thoughts and prayers.”

Cederberg is with the state police for seven years.

Nearly 140 officers in the U.S. are shot to death in 2016, according to the National police Memorial Fund. At least ten of these officers were responding to domestic disputes.


Although the police have been relatively tight-lipped about the shooting that injured Cederberg, more information is slowly started to drip on Tylka’s life and his troubled relationship with his wife.

Tylka posted a picture on Facebook earlier this month of him kissing his wife, Kate Armand, and commented: “We are not separate.” Someone responded that she was hoping that they work things out. The police have not released the name of the woman who he is supposed to have killed, but Megan Armand told the media that the victim was her sister Kate.

“We are still in shock and devastated from last night events, Megan Armand said in a statement. “My heart is broken by the loss of my only sister. Our thoughts and prayers are also with the wounded OSP Officer and his family.”

A number of Facebook messages from Kate Armand’s friends expressed sadness, describing her as a good person and a fantastic mother to an almost 1-year-old girl.

Tylka updated his Facebook profile picture shortly before his death, displaying a photo of the couple. He also has the cover of his photo, with his two children, a boy and a girl.

Tylka was locked in a prolonged dispute with his ex-wife over the custody of their son and child support, according to court records.

Tylka’s ex-wife, Sabrina Starks, had filed for immediate temporary custody of their son, in September, saying: the boy was in danger of possible abuse. She said Tylka talked about suicide in September of 2015, the signs of a call to the police, before leaving the city for four months.

Starks wrote in the custody request, that they have agreed to joint custody in May 2016, but he had his act irrational, impulsive and aggressive, constantly pressuring the boy for updates on what she was doing.

She said that the boy was crying when they picked him up on Sept. 5 and that he told her Tylka shouted to him and a grandmother.

“I asked him what he meant. (The boy) said, ” If I don’t tell Dad what you do, he yells at me and sends me to the corner. I said no, and he cries until I tell him,'” she wrote.

A judge denied Starks’ request for immediate temporary guardianship. They separated in April 2011, court records say, but it is not clear when Tylka married Kate Armand. Starks mentioned the marriage in her custody request.

Mike Rowe, a police spokesman in the nearby city of Misc, said Tylka was a cadet there between 2004 and 2006. Rowe said that he did not know why Tylka to the left of the program.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular