News

One in three Dutch households has Netflix

One in three Dutch households has Netflix

Photo: Bloomberg

In the Netherlands, one in three households have a Netflix subscription. The American service propels the use of videostreamingdiensten virtually without competition.

The number of Netflix subscriptions has doubled in the past two years in the Netherlands, 1.1 million households in 2015 to 2.3 million in the second quarter of 2017. Reports that market researcher Telecompaper.

Netflix hardly has any competition. Videoland and RTL XL, both of the RTL, with both over 300,000 subscribers on a shared second place. Amazon Prime is, according to Telecompaper not popular in the Netherlands, figures are not mentioned.

Getting longer and longer

Where Dutch people two years ago, an average of 11 minutes per day to videostreamingdiensten looked, that’s now increased to an average of 23 minutes per day. Especially twenty-somethings stream more: meanwhile, on average, 43 minutes per day.

The tv remains the most important device to watch streaming video on to watch, although there is still more we looked at laptops and tablets. Netflix, YouTube, and Facebook allow for a shift towards mobile devices.

But also the live tv apps of KPN and Ziggo are becoming more widely used. Nearly 1.8 million people who watch weekly tv through their phone.

Twenty-somethings

Especially twentysomethings watch more mobile devices and through streaming services. That they do 60 percent of the time through a tv, while the remaining 40 percent via a laptop, tablet to phone.

Also the so-called bingewatchen is becoming more and more popular. Where, in 2015 half of the Dutch has one or more episodes of a series one behind the other looked, now 61 percent of the Dutch population.

The market researcher expects that the Dutch in the coming years more and more through videostreamingdiensten go and have a look. Both the continuing growth of the services if the increasing databundels mobile subscriptions propel the popularity of streaming.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular