André Onana is still a chance to be chosen as African footballer of the year. The Ajax goalkeeper is the last ten nominees, in contrast to team-mate Hakim Ziyech.
The 22-year-old Onana, who, together with Ziyech on a long list of 34 players, competition from, among others, Sadio Mané (Liverpool), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal), Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City), Medhi Benatia (Juventus) and Mohamed Salah, the winner of last year.
The Egyptian attacker of Liverpool is now the favorite. Salah reached with the club the final of the Champions League and was top scorer of the Premier League.
Onana was also nominated for the award for talent of the year, but he belongs after the first round of voting no to the three remaining candidates. Achraf Hakimi (Borussia Dortmund), Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City) and Franck Kessié (AC Milan) are still chances on the price.
The final 10 nominees
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon/Arsenal)
- Anice Bandri (Tunisia/Royal Excel Mouscron)
- Mehdi Benatia (Morocco/Juventus)
- Alex Iwobi (Nigeria/Arsenal)
- Riyad Mahrez (Algeria/Manchester City)
- Sadio Mané (Senegal/Liverpool)
- André Onana (Cameroon/Ajax)
- Denis Onyango (Uganda/Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Mohamed Salah (Egypt/Liverpool)
- Walid Soliman (Egypt/Al Ahly)
Onana experience strong season
Onana makes again a strong season. At Ajax, he is undisputed and in Cameroon, he is under coach Clarence Seedorf also first choice.
The coaches and captains of African countries, voetballegendes of the continent, and a select group of journalists allowed to vote for the prizes to be awarded by the CAF, the South African football association.
Of the final ten contenders for the title of African footballer of the year remain the three nominees. The price is on Tuesday, January 8, awarded.