News

Obama hopes to transfer 22 Gitmo detainees, sources say

 

There is an effort underway to contribute to 22 Gitmo detainees to other countries by the time President Obama leaves office, two officials of defence told Fox News.

Obama pledged to close the offshore detention center upon taking office, but if the time runs out on his administration, which almost certainly will not happen.

More than half of the men still there have not been approved for release and Congress has prohibited the move of prisoners to the united states for any reason.

There are currently 59 other inmates, of those, 27 are considered to be too dangerous to wear. The 22 is expected to leave Cuba, is already approved for the transfer to other nations by an inter-agency task force.

The New York Times first reported on the story.

The U.S. opened Guantanamo to keep militants suspected of ties with Al-Qaeda and the Taliban in the aftermath of the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001. Most were never charged with a crime, and the indefinite detention, in combination with the abuse of prisoners in the early days of the detention center, prompted worldwide criticism. Earlier this month, Obama called it a “stain on our national honor.”

The army has the consolidation of the prisoners, who remaining in two units and is not replaced nearly 300 American troops who recently left. Large parts of the detention center are now vacant in the middle of the rolling, cacti-covered hills of the south-east of Cuba.

But there are also signs that the detention center is not going away soon. The army is building a medical clinic, at a cost of $8.4 million, in a recently abandoned prison unit to eliminate the need to transport inmates on the basis of the existing. The government is also building a $12.4 million dining room for the troops who work in the prison and finding the resources for a better housing.

And the military courts, the seven detainees who are accused of war crimes, including five men accused of planning and supporting the 9/11 attack, trudging along in the pretrial stage for years and no trial dates have been scheduled.

Fifteen “high-value” detainees, including the Sept. 11 suspects have been held in Camp 7, a maximum-security unit that the military is not to see to the journalists. Even the exact location on the base is classified.

All the other prisoners are now in Camp 6, a glass and concrete of the prison facility where they live in an air-conditioned common pods, are allowed to roam free of the cells 22 hours per day. The men eat and pray together, play soccer, attend language and art classes, and have access to movies and satellite TV, which officials say allowed them to follow the AMERICAN elections.

The men there are Khalid Qasim, whose lawyer identified him as the man who held up the question mark painting. A review board determined in 2015 that he had trained with Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and should not be released, but the US has no intention of prosecuting the 39-year-old man from Yemen.

“His 14-plus years of detention, without charge or trial, are an affront to the AMERICAN values,” said his lawyer, Shelby Sullivan-Bennis of the human rights group Reprieve. “All He wants is to be reunited with his family, and to the reconstruction of his life. Obama urgently needs to grant him his freedom, before it’s too late.”

Fox News’ Lucas Tomlinson and The Associated Press contributed to this report

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular