The Obama administration announced Thursday it is officially scrapping of a once-compulsory registration for migrants from predominantly Muslim countries, in the midst of speculation about the question of whether the incoming Donald Trump’s administration may try to renew it.
The US had already stopped the program in 2011.
The original National Security Entry-Exit Registration System, or NSEERs, launched about a year after 9/11, to require of boys and men from a variety of mostly different countries in the Middle East, with the Federal government at the time of their arrival in the U.S. application, which can also be applied to immigrants from North Korea, including fingerprints and photographs, and is a requirement to notify changes by the government of any address.
But after the Obama administration suspended the program in 2011, the Department of Homeland Security, a notice Thursday to officially remove what he called “obsolete provisions” on the “outdated” system.
The notice stated:
“DHS stopped using the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS) program in 2011, after finding that the program what was superfluous, the data is recorded manually, the already collected through automated systems, and not an increase in security in light of the DHS in the evolving assessment of the threat to the United States by international terrorism. The regulatory structure in terms of NSEERS no longer provides a recognizable benefit to the public, how the program has been made obsolete. Accordingly, DHS is the removal of the special registration program regulations”.
The announcement comes amid growing international terror fears and Trump’s proposals, he could ban some Muslim immigrants from the United States. After a truck-attack 12 killed in a Christmas market in Berlin this week, Trump told reporters, “you know my plans.”
During the registration, it was widely ridiculed by civil rights activists as an effort to profile people based on race and religion, the international threat of terrorism led to several tougher policy in the Republican presidential primary race. Trump, in particular, a far-reaching and controversial call to temporarily ban Muslim immigrants come to the US, though he moved later to focus on temporarily curbing immigration from an unspecified list of countries with links to terrorism.
He also seemed during the campaign to open the door to a Muslim registry before the backup, the idea was more of a focus on refugees.
However, Kansas Secretary of state Kris Kobach, a trump immigration adviser during the campaign, said last month that Trump renew the DHS database.
Meeting with Trump in New York, Kobach contributed to a document called the “Department of Homeland Security Kobach Strategic Plan for the First 365 days.” He listed a NSEERS re-start as the top priority. The document was visible in a photo by The Associated Press.
The list suggested that the U.S. government “update and a” program for all foreigners, the “high-risk” areas.
The President-elect, on the question Wednesday, when the attack in Berlin would lead to rate him, the proposed ban or a possible registration of Muslims in the United States, said: “you know my plans. All together, I have to be demonstrably in the right, 100 percent correct.”
Trump spokesman Jason Miller said the President-elect’s plans “could interfere with those who are stuck with their heads in the politically correct sand.” He added that Trump was on a plan approval in the USA for people “from countries with high terrorism rates, to suspend,” and is subject to several other strict security check.
If the Obama administration abandoned the DHS system in April 2011, it said in a recent data collection program would be sufficient to collect biometric data for all foreigners coming into the country. At the time, more than 80,000 foreigners were registered.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.