News

North Carolina teen saves baby nephew from the burning house

A North Carolina teen is being hailed a hero after he saved his baby cousin from a burning building.

LJ Gray, a junior at Kinston high School, was out with friends and family Tuesday when his grandmother saw smoke from the house where his cousin was sleeping, Kinston Fire and Rescue, told WITN.

According to Captain William Brackets, the teenager ran into the house through the back door into the kitchen and into the adjacent room, where his cousin, Michari Strayhorn, was located.

Gray tried to escape through the back door, but the fire and the smoke were too intense, so he turned and ran to the front door, where he managed to make it out of the safe, Braces told WITN.

Firefighters say the 17-year-old LJ Gray is a hero after he saved his nephew, Michari, from their burning house. Story at 5 & 6 on @WITN7 pic.twitter.com/xrSJxuj3Rz

— WITN Anna Meijer (@AnnaPhillipsTV) April 13, 2017

“If a firefighter were trained with all of the protective equipment that we have, the bunker, the pants, the jackets, the hood, gloves, to go in this burn and were trained to know our limits,” Captain Barss told the tv station. “And this young man did it with even less than what an average person would wear on the street.”

Firefighters arrived on the scene shortly after the daring rescue.

Kinston Fire and Rescue said the fire started from more than food on the stove.

According to WITN, the family lost everything in the fire, but Gray and his cousin had no marks of smoke or fire.

 

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular