News

North Carolina mother warns popular ‘Roblox’ video game after 7-year-old avatar violently gang raped’

A North Carolina mother is sharing a story about the popular game Roblox.

(Roblox)

Amber Petersen was lounging in bed with her 7-year-old daughter last week, watching her play the popular children’s video game “Roblox” on her iPad when she saw a disturbing image on the screen.

Her confused daughter, Brooklyn, paused, and let her mother the screen, which Petersen says showed a female avatar — her daughter’s character — “violently gang raped” on a virtual playground by two male avatars.

“Words can not describe the shock, disgust and guilt that I feel now, but I try those feelings aside, so I can get this warning from the others as soon as possible,” Petersen wrote in a Facebook post. The post has been shared more than 7,000 times as of Friday afternoon.

‘FORTNITE’ HAS BECOME A MAGNET FOR MALWARE

The Raleigh, N. C., on the basis of Petersen took screenshots of the incident and shared them online. Petersen said that the photos show her daughter’s character is being attacked by two men on a piece of grass when a female spectator jumps on her body.

Petersen immediately shielded her daughter from the graphic scene, although she admits that she caught the beginning of the alleged sexual act.

“I’m shuddering to think what damage this image could have on her psyche, just as any other child that may potentially be exposed to this,” Petersen continued, adding that Roblox has security settings that allow parents to block outside calls or invitations from strangers.

At the time, Petersen believed that they adapted to the security settings for maximum privacy, on one of her daughter’s Roblox account.

(Credit: Roblox)

“Or at least we thought we did,” Petersen said.

The 35-year-old Petersen is urging others to take a look at their security settings as well as monitor the activity on the user-generated online game before their children to take part.

“I urge you to take another look at the security settings on all your devices, and closely monitor your child if you allow them to continue to play games with online platforms such as Roblox,” she added in her Facebook post. “Better yet, maybe you can join me in taking the rest of this summer, challenge your child to their screens and read.”

NINTENDO IS CONSIDERING A 3DS SUCCESSOR

“Roblox,” which has about the fact that the “#1 gaming site for children and teens” on its website, and is developed by the Roblox Corporation, had about 50 million active users in 2017.

“Every day, virtual explorers come to Roblox to create adventures, play games, role play and learn with their friends in a family-friendly, immersive 3D environment,” Roblox explained on the site.

Last year, “Roblox” users that are created with 11 million titles.

“Roblox” had not yet returned Fox News’ request for comment on Friday afternoon.

Earlier this week, the company told WRAL it was “deeply shocked” by the situation and the guilt of the violent twist on a “bad actor” that has now been removed from the platform. The particular game of Brooklyn, was playing, was allegedly suspended.

“[We put] extra security measures to prevent this from happening again in the future, the company told the news station in a statement.

Jennifer Earl is an SEO editor for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter @jenearlyspeakin.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular