The snake bit the family’s dog Brian Lewis, the puppy, the owner was working from home.
Brian Lewis felt a sense of panic as his dog loudly barking in the backyard “suddenly” last week. He rushed outside to discover his pup, Winnie, were wounded.
Lewis of Cary, North Carolina said that he was working from home last Tuesday, when the terrible incident took place.
“I heard her and my other dog barking in the backyard and they were extremely hectic,” he explained to Fox News.
The bite caused Winnie’s leg to swell.
FLORENCE COULD SWEEP POISONOUS SNAKES IN THE WATER
He found Winnie in the garage “with her right leg upwards.” Then he brought her inside to examine the wounds, he saw the “fang marks,” probably delivered by a poisonous copperhead snake.
Lewis rushed Winnie to a nearby animal hospital, which confirmed his suspicion, and treated the dogs for a copperhead bite.
VCA Cornerstone Animal Hospital, where Winnie was treated, told WNCN News she had seen a recent influx of pets with snake bites — partly as a result of Hurricane Florence, which displaced many creatures of their habitats.
TEXAS, A SHELTER PUPPY IS AT HOME WORKING WITH COORDINATORS AT THE CITY COMMUNICATION CENTER
After returning from the vet, a furious Lewis found the copperhead is probably responsible for the attack in his backyard and smashed it with a shovel.
The pup was treated with antibiotics and painkillers, Lewis said.
“[The snake] was in a dozen pieces before I regained my composure,” Lewis admitted to WNCN News.
Winnie is treated with antibiotics and painkillers. She hobbled around for days after the incident, but Lewis said she is now on the mend.
Madeline Farber is a Reporter for Fox News. You can follow her on Twitter @MaddieFarberUDK.