RALEIGH, N. C. – A North Carolina man accused of killing his wife and daughter and posting pictures of their body Facebook was found guilty in their deaths Monday.
Local news media report a Wake County jury came to the verdict in the process of Elhadji Seydou Diop. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole for first-degree murder in the death of his wife, and an additional 20 to 25 years for second-degree murder in the death of his daughter.
The prosecutors said Diop strangled 40-year-old Aminata Drame in April 2016, but medical researchers couldn’t tell if 2-year-old Fatim Diop had strangled, suggesting that she may have been smothered when her parents fight fell on her in their Raleigh house.
The police went to the home of the family after Diop’s cousin in Senegal saw the dead bodies on his Facebook page.
“Look what god did 2. Me.,” researchers believe Diop placed on the day of the massacre. “A beautiful family. everything is gone.”
A Senegalese online newspaper Diop also had written on his Facebook page, “They just died, and I will be the next. Who can stop me?”
In the first instance, Diop rejected a plea agreement in September last year. At the time, Diop had agreed to plead guilty to second degree murder and voluntary manslaughter, according to Kristen Fetter, the Wake County prosecutor.
But Charles Caldwell, Diop the court-appointed lawyer said that his client “had a change of heart.”