North Carolina man claimed to be Army general, flew a helicopter to the tech company, feds say

Christian Gerald Desgroux was indicted by a federal grand jury on Wednesady for falsely pretending to be an AMERICAN Army lieutenant general.


A North Carolina man pretending to be an Army general, headed in a classified briefing, and flew by helicopter to the headquarters of a large tech company in November, federal officials announced Wednesday.

Christian Gerald Desgroux, 57, was indicted by a grand jury on charges of pretending to be of the AMERICAN Army, lieutenant-general, the U. S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina said in a press release.

Desgroux reportedly claimed that led to a classified briefing, “claimed authority” to land a helicopter at the headquarters of the Statistical Analysis Systems (SAS), Cary, N. C. on Nov. 6.

No details about the incident were released, but a company spokeswoman told WRAL Desgroux was “not a SAS employee and had no relationship with our company.

“At the time of the incident, SAS, Security contacted the local authorities, who handled the situation,” spokeswoman Shannon Heath told WRAL. “This was an isolated incident.”


According to the state criminal data obtained by The News & Observer, Desgroux in anticipation of the charges of an alleged attack on a woman from April 2017, misuse of the 911 system and violation of a domestic violence protection May 2017. He also has pending charges on interfering with emergency communications, misdemeanor flight to escape the arrest, misuse of the 911 system and misdemeanor stalking of December 2017.

The 900 acre campus of SAS in Cary, North Carolina.

(Google Maps)

SAS is the developer of analytics software based in Cary and move large quantities of data into knowledge you can use.”

The company employs almost 6,000 workers at the 900-acre campus, which features a soccer field, the swimming pool, day care, and 9-hole disc golf course, according to a profile last year by Business Insider.

If convicted, Desgroux faced with a maximum of three years in prison, a $250,000 fine and a period of supervised release, according to the U. S. Attorney’s Office.

Travis Fedschun is a reporter for Follow him on Twitter @travfed

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular