News

No smoke alarms found in home where 5 children died in the fire, says chief

Investigators look over the remains of a deadly fire, in Lebanon, Mo., June 6, 2018.

(Nathan Papes/Springfield News-Leader via the Associated Press)

After the researchers found no smoke detectors in a mobile home where five children died in a fire last week, city officials in Lebanon, Mo., launched in an effort to raise money for the installation and inspection of such devices in the entire community.

The city has pledged $5,000 towards the effort and will match every dollar donated by the public, the Kansas City Star reported. Contributions will be accepted at the town hall, beginning June 26, the report said.

No smoke alarms found in the Ozarks house where five children were killed by a fire, chief sayshttps://t.co/cud2b51mUm

— Max Londberg (@MaxLondberg) 13 June 2018

“We don’t want that the inability to purchase smoke alarms to be a hindrance,” City Administrator Mike Schumacher told the newspaper adds that owners and tenants would be able to help with the installation or the inspection of the devices.

“Our fire department go out and check them and ensure a smoke alarm if necessary, and set it before them,” he said.

“Our fire department go out and check them and ensure a smoke alarm if necessary, and placed it before them.”

– Mike Schumacher, city administrator, Lebanon, Mo.

Meanwhile, a funeral for the five children was scheduled for Thursday morning at Community Baptist Church, the Laclede County Record reported.

Fire victim remains in critical conditionhttps://t.co/DCjNpWEXXd

— Laclede County Record (@LacledeNews) June 12, 2018

Killed in the June 6 blaze were Malleck and Hunt children: Patience Malleck, 6 months; and Andre Malleck, 1; and Ethen Hunt, 5; Maeanna Hunt, 2; and Benjamin Hunt, 1.

One of the researchers looking out over the remains of a deadly fire, in Lebanon, Mo., June 6, 2018.

(Nathan Papes/Springfield News-Leader via the Associated Press)

Alexandra “Alee” Malleck, the mother of the Malleck children, remained in hospital with severe burns and was recovering of the skin-transplant surgery, the Star reported.

MOM RECOVERING FROM SERIOUS BURNS AFTER THE FIRE THAT KILLED 5 CHILDREN

When the fire broke out in the house of her brother-in-law, Kelley Hunt, Malleck was the nanny of the children during the Hunt was at work, in the newspaper.

“Our search of the house had no mention of smoke alarms,” Lebanon fire Chief Sam Schneider told the Star.

Schneider said the city code requires a smoke detector be installed in each room of a house, and there must be at least one on each floor. He added that inspections are carried out prior to the tenants to move, and that the Yacht home had passed inspection.

Hunt’s estranged wife, Audrianna Middlesworth, told the newspaper that she remembered the house with at least one smoke alarm before they moved in 2017.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular