Thousands of maggots were spotted along the shore of Hampton Beach in New Hampshire in the beginning of September.
(Good News Agency)
New Hampshire residents were disgusted to discover the coastline of a popular beach is covered with thousands of maggots last week. The small larvae were seen to wobble at the top of the piles of seaweed that washed up as well as patches of sand near the surf.
Resident Ryan Fowler was shocked by the sight at Hampton Beach, in which he told NBC 10 was “writhing with maggots, probably thousands of maggots.”
“It’s really disappointing, because I love to swim,” he told the news station.
Fowler captured the disturbing scene on a video that has since gone viral on Facebook with more than 540,000 views as of Friday afternoon.
Hundreds of locals commented on the post, predict where the maggots might have come from.
GREAT PACIFIC GARBAGE PATCH, A TEXAS-SIZED ‘ISLAND’ OF DEBRIS IN THE OCEAN, TO BE ADDRESSED BY A GIANT FLOATING SHIP
“There must be a very big whale or something carcass offshore to generate all these maggots in the search,” a Facebook user suggested.
“It seems that they were dumped there,” another said.
“To be honest, I don’t think they wash up on the beach, I think that a person/ family was very friendly and left a bag of garbage and trash behind. Maggots are fly larvae and flies not on the sand, that for a long time with the waves,” a woman guessed.
Officials with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services will be contacted about the problem and later told NECN it is probably flies laid eggs after feasting on rotting seaweed that washed up on the beach. The agency said officials would thoroughly examine the area to determine whether to declare that a public health risk.
BEACH OR DOOR? VIRAL MEME STUMPS OF THE INTERNET
“Maggots are annoying, but there is no evidence that they cause pose a risk to the health of the man,” Sciencing explained in April, a blog post, adding that a worm can “double up” within the span of just a few days.
The science site suggests the use of boiling water and a small amount of bleach to get rid of the larvae.
Jennifer Earl is an SEO editor for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter @jenearlyspeakin.