News

NBC internal investigation was started to see if the ‘Biggest Loser’ participants were given weight-loss drugs: report

NBC reportedly launched an internal investigation to see whether the participants in the network of the cancelled show, the Biggest Loser” were given medication to help them lose weight.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the investigation was revealed in a privileged logs, which were submitted in connection with a defamation lawsuit, where the sports physician Dr. Robert Huizenga. The network is reportedly looking into whether the participants were given, stimulants, diet, medications, supplements, for weight loss or diuretics.

NBC declined Fox News’ request for comment to note that the network does not comment on ongoing legal matters.

Huizenga, who worked on the series for 17 seasons in the district court against the New York Post about a number of articles, including one from May 2016, with the title of ‘Biggest Loser’ Drugged Us and that We So Lose Weight,” the outlet reports.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the New York Post interviewed the former participants claimed that they were given Adderall, and pills by the FDA banned Ephedra.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, a participant in the article said Huizenga “knew exactly what we were doing and never tried to stop.”

The outlet notes that in Huizenga’s lawsuit, the doctor says that the allegations are untrue, and ultimately caused him to lose business relationships.

The Hollywood Reporter states a judge has yet to formally rule on the dismissal motions.

As a result, NBCUniversal received a summons to see what the network knows about the use of the drug on the “Biggest Loser,” as well as medical care, compensation, and the show’s cancellation, according to the outlet.

On 29 June, NBCUniversal reportedly turned over a log, which, according to The Hollywood Reporter, had e-mails with the information “the provision of legal advice relating to the investigation of the allegations of the provision and/or use of Drugs on ‘The Biggest Loser’ and actions considered in response to such allegations.”

The outlet reports that some of the e-mails back from 2008, while the rest of the notes in connection with the “research” were from 2013.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, on Monday, the New York Post’s lawyers, Steven Mintz, sent a letter to the New York federal judge in the case.

“Incredibly, NBC states that it is not responding documents and, as such, produced zero documents concerning the non-renewal of the Show,” He reportedly wrote.

“It is simply not plausible that NBC cancelled a tv series that ran for 17 seasons and that was, at one point, one of NBC’s highest rated programs — all of this without a single individual by sending an e-mail, or the internal NBC employees who previously worked on the Show or outside of the production company responsible for the production of the later seasons of the Show.”

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular