National Guardsman’s body found near Ellicott City after being swept away by floodwaters



The researchers found the body of missing National Guardsman

Eddison Hermond was swept away during the Ellicott City flood; Garrett Tenney reports.

The body of a National Guardsman was found in a Maryland river on Tuesday, two days after he went missing during an attempt to rescue a woman and her cat during the devastating floods that swept through Ellicott City.

Howard County police said the body of Eddison Hermond, 39, was located in the Patapsco River, just across the Baltimore County line. Hermond was seen around the 5:20 p.m., Sunday in the neighborhood of La Palapa restaurant on Main Street, Howard County, police said.

“Rescue workers searched buildings and the waterways in the area since the flood. There are no other reports of missing persons,” police said.

#HoCoPolice have confirmed that the body of Eddison Alexander Hermond, 39, which are lost during the Ellicott City flood, was found by researchers today in the Patapsco River, just across the Baltimore County line #ECFlood

— Howard County Police (@HCPDNews) 29 May 2018

Hermond is a sergeant assigned to Camp Fretterd in Reisterstown, Md. He joined the Maryland Army National Guard in 2009 after he was in the air force for more than a decade.

Kate Bowman told the Baltimore Sun that Hermond tried to pull her to safety when he “washed away.”

“I could barely see anything and I could barely hear anything,” Bowman, 41, told the newspaper. “He stepped over the edge to try to get to me, and he was washed away.”

Rescue workers examine damage on Main Street after a flash flood rushed through the historic town of Ellicott City.


Bowman said she fled from her shop, Clipper’s Canine Café, with her cat through a window because the rain flooded the area. The water was waist-high when Hermond spotted her.


A car flipped to the side after flooding in Ellicott City.


Bowman said the rescue “nothing to do” with her cat.

“He tried to save me,” Bowman said. “He is a hero.”

Hermond was reported missing by 12:30 a.m. Monday after officials searched the area where he was taken by the water, but could not find it with the 39-year-old. Dogs were deployed to assist in searching buildings and vehicles.

“We are just throwing around ideas,” Beth Czyryca, one of Hermond friends, told the newspaper. “Maybe he is sitting in a tree, where no one can see him, or he broke his both legs and can’t walk and is waiting for someone to find him.”

She called Hermond the “nicest person in the world” who always had a smile on his face. Czyrca added that she was not surprised that her boyfriend, with whom she has known for a decade, was trying to rescue someone during the floods.

Several cars were destroyed and submerged in murky brown water after the flooding in Ellicott City.


Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said he was “deeply saddened” to hear Harmond had passed on.

“We are deeply saddened to learn that the body of @MDNG Sgt. Eddison Hermond has found. There are no words to adequately describe our sense of loss,” he tweeted Tuesday.

We are deeply saddened to learn that the body of @MDNG Sgt. Eddison Hermond has found. There are no words to adequately describe our sense of loss.

— Governor Larry Hogan (@GovLarryHogan) 29 May 2018

Residents in Ellicott City, about 13 km west of Baltimore, returned to their businesses and homes Monday to examine the damage cause by the massive flood. A few hours before, murky brown water rushed through the center of the city, taking everything in its path. Videos and photos showed flipped over vehicles and debris waste on streets and shops. The officials said the weekend flooding was “worse than” the July 2016 storm that wreaked havoc on the city of nearly 66,000 people.

Residents gather by a bridge to look at cars left crumpled in one of the tributaries of the Patapsco River outside of its banks if it is channeled through the historic Main Street in Ellicott City.


For many residents, this is the second time that they will be rebuilding after a 2016 flood that caused millions in damage.

“Time to build, that’s it,” restaurateur Michel Tersiguel said. “It is not a question for us. We restore the building last time, so that helped. … Our plan is to on the as soon as the county gives us.”

Local officials recently said about 96 percent of the business was destroyed during the 2016 flood were back in operation, and more than 20 new businesses had opened again in the centre. But the reconstruction proved to be of short duration, leaving some shop owners to ask if they do it all over again.

“We will see. It costs a lot of money and a lot of time, a lot of energy. We must judge,” Nathan Sowers said about the reconstruction of his pizza shop.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Katherine Lam is a breaking and trending news digital producer for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter via @bykatherinelam

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular