McLaren boss Gil de Ferran has Sunday apologized to Fernando Alonso. The Spanish driver of McLaren failed to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 and will have his desired ‘Triple Crown of Motorsport’ as a result, this year not able to complete.
“This is a very difficult and emotional experience,” said sporting director, De Ferran of McLaren after Alonso qualifying for the Indy 500 misliep, against Motorsport.com. “Not only for me but for the whole team.”
“I want to use of this possibility by to apologize to our fans, not only in the United States, but also worldwide. I read a lot of lovely messages and I want everyone to thank, but it hurts me that we are not in the Indy 500 driving”, said the Brazilian.
“I also want to apologize to Alonso, we bought him a car that is not fast enough. He drove like a champion, he can do better.”
The McLaren of Alonso was not fast enough on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. (Photo: Pro Shots)
McLaren is no place to buy
Alonso finished on Sunday in fourth place in the ‘shootout’, while the fastest three drivers are placed for the race this coming weekend. The 37-year-old Spaniard has set his sights on the prestigious Triple Crown of Motorsport.
Triple Crown consists of profit in the Grand Prix of Monaco, the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Indy 500. Only the last race is still missing on the palmares of Alonso.
McLaren reported not to make use of the possibility of a starting spot in the Indy 500 to buy. “We want our place on the grid to earn,” said De Ferran.
Alonso wants next year to come back
According to De Ferran, the team has done everything to make Alonso a good car has to offer. “The mechanics have for months been working extremely hard. Especially in the last month there every hour of the day.”
Alonso said that his car was simply not fast enough. “Not only today, but during the entire event. We have always had problems. But I don’t want to specify, that I will never do,” said the two-time world champion in Formula 1. “Next year I’m here again.”