Maryland man who attacked police station in 2016 gets 195 years

Michael Ford
(Prince George’s County Police Department)

A Maryland man who opened fire on a police station in 2016, which leads to the friendly-fire death of a police officer narcotics, was on Thursday sentenced to 195 years in prison.

Michael Ford, 25, was convicted in November of second-degree murder, first-degree assault and weapons charges in the killing of Prince George’s County Police Detective Jacai Colson. Ford said that he tried to get himself killed by the police when he fired his gun almost two dozen times outside the station, but was not going to allow someone else to be harmed.

Prosecutor Joseph Ruddy argued that Ford caused Colson’s death by creating a “combat zone.” Nobody was hit by the 23 shots Ford fired, but bullets did strike two passing vehicles and an ambulance, according to Ruddy.

“That was not a suicide mission. That was a mission to kill the police,” the prosecutor said during the trial’s closing arguments.

Jacai Colson.
(Prince George’s County Police Department via AP)

Colson, 28, exchanged gunfire with Ford for a fellow officer fatally shot the plainclothes detective, mistaking him for a threat. Officer Taylor Krauss testified that he never saw Colson hold a badge or heard him identify himself as a police officer before shooting him once in the chest. Colson called on parents Krauss and Prince George’s County, accusing Krauss of recklessly shooting his gun. Colson and Krauss had worked in the narcotics unit together and went on connecting a desk.


Ford’s brothers, Malik and elias, and recorded mobile phone videos of the ambush after dropping him off at the station in Landover, a suburb of Washington, D. C. They agreed to shoot the movie, so the video can be sent to a web site known for posting users violent videos, a police detective testified in 2016.

From left to right, Michael Ford, Malik Ford, and Elijah Ford.

One of the videos showed Ford screaming obscenities and screamed: “Do something!” between shots. Ford, 22, also dictated his last will and testament on video minutes before his brothers dropped him off at the station.

Malik and Elijah Ford pleaded guilty to related charges and were sentenced to 20 and 12 years in prison, respectively.

Michael Ford said he heard voices in his head on the day of the shooting. He said that he pulled a gun out of a safe in his car and held it to his head.


“I couldn’t pull the trigger,” he said during the session.

Judge Lawrence Hill, Jr. reigned for the process that Ford could not present an insanity defense despite his severe mental problems.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular