Mario Batali accused of sexual misconduct by four women
Celebrity chef Mario Batali steps away from his restaurant empire and is removed from co-hosting duties on ABC’s “the Chew” following allegations of sexual misconduct by four women.
Famous chef Mario Batali has been fired from ABC’s “the Chew” following numerous allegations of sexual misconduct.
“After the completion of its investigation of the accusations against Mario Batali, ABC has discontinued her relationship with him, and he will no longer appear” on the show, an ABC spokesperson wrote in a message on the Facebook page.
“While we remain unaware of any kind of inappropriate behavior, with him and everyone connected with our show, ABC takes matters like this very seriously as we strive to provide a safe work environment and his past behavior is inconsistent with our standards of conduct,” the statement read.
Batali, 57, has been accused of sexual harassment by multiple women — employees and fellow-chef-cook — who claimed to be the chef grabbed and groped them, both in the workplace and elsewhere.
Because of the allegations, and Batali had previously been asked to temporarily leave “The Chew.” A revival of Batali’s “Molto Mario” series on the Food Network was also “on hold”.
MARIO BATALI ONCE SAID, ‘THE RECKONING’ WAS COMING ON FOR SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
After allegations against the disgraced chef, on the surface, he apologized in a statement and said that “the behavior described in fact correspond to how I’ve acted.”
ABC has cut chef Mario Batali of “The Chew.”
(Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP)
“I apologize for the people I’ve mistreated and hurt. Although the identity of most of the persons mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, many of the described behaviour is in fact consistent with how I’ve acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses,” Batali said.
He continued: “I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or inconvenience that I have caused to my colleagues, co-workers, clients, friends and family.”
On Tuesday, the other “Chew” co-hosts to discuss the situation with Batali, and told viewers “we take this matter very seriously,” before noting that their “commitment to viewers remains the same — to deliver the fun show that you are used to.”
Nicole Darrah cover breaking and trending news for FoxNews.com. Follow her on Twitter @nicoledarrah.