In November of this year. 16, 2018, file photo, members of the US military you are installing multiple rows of concertina wire along the shores of the Rio Grande in the vicinity of the Juarez-Lincoln bridge at the U.S.-Mexico border in Laredo, Texas. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, file)
The deployment of troops to the southern border was seen from the President trump the critics as a political move ahead of the 2018 midterm elections, and his supporters as necessary for safety. It was all in anticipation of a wave of migrants from Central America, to demand, in the hope of political asylum in the United States
Now, in internal documents by Fox News and first reported by the Los Angeles Times, the top Marine Corps commander, Robert Neller, a four-star general, is warning officials of the Ministry of defence that it will cost for the massive response on the border. He called it an “unacceptable risk” that “a negative impact on Marine Corps readiness.”
Sound terrible, Neller, said the Marine Corps “faces fiscal challenges without precedent” for the coming fiscal year.
The notes are from the March 18 and Feb. 19, meticulously and in detail the consequences of the cancellation or restriction of scheduled military exercises with allied countries, such as Indonesia, Scotland, and South Korea, while the shift of funds to the limit. Money to pay for an increase in the military presence in the vicinity of ports of entry, to help protect the floor customs and border officials.
Neller mentioned, the reduction and termination of these events, the “not desired, nor an easy decision,” according to the memo.
The subject line of the previous memo read: “USMC fiscal year 19 (FY-19) Fast risks of Speed” and was addressed to Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer and Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan.
The note on the costs and perceived risks, Neller also addressed, such as the base-damage of hurricane Florence and Michael, the store reduces the willingness.
It is expected to cost $to repair 3.5 billion Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, the largest Marine Corps base on the East coast, because of the damage to Florence in September 2018.
HUNDREDS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS RELEASED IN US IN THE MIDST OF OVERCROWDING IN PRISONS
Neller wrote frustrated in the situation, to transfer money, because of the proposed “reprogramming” below the emergency limit, stating that the Marines are short $threatens 1.3 billion for recovery this year (with another hurricane season).
“The hurricane season is just three months,” Neller wrote, “and we have Marines, sailors and civilians, the in compromised structures.”
“The Department of Defense submitted a $ 600 million reprogramming request to the Congress at 6. To repair March, on the urgent hurricane damage, financing of deficits. This reprogramming request includes $to repair 400 million USMC facilities. Senior DoD leaders, points of contact with the defense committees, day-to-day on this amendment, remains in Congress” that the Pentagon, told Fox News on Thursday evening.
“In addition, the FY2020 budget request fully supports all of the necessary hurricane to repair the damage during the 2018 hurricane season. In addition, the Department is able to repair the ongoing talks with key members of Congress over additional funding for the hurricane damage. With the support and swift action of the Congress, we expect the Marine Corps to continue the current high level of combat readiness.”
Trump provided some 6,000 troops to the southern border and extend your stay until September of this year. Seen mostly as a filling an assist-and-advise role for education, not a member of the military is legally allowed to arrest people coming over the border.
In the trump suit, the described budget proposal for defense spending, last week announced that he has asked Congress to appropriate $718 billion for the Pentagon in the year 2020, a figure that is likely to be discussed in the coming weeks.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Other DoD officials have testified that there is no threat on the southern border. Just last month, gen Terrence J. O’shaughnessy, who will lead the U.S. Northern Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee, “It is a military threat.”
He added quickly, that means that the military should not be involved, in some way, but he did not specify to what extent.
500 Marines are deployed to the southern border, according to a Marine Corps spokesman.