TUCSON, Arizona. – A man who in the prison has brought in the kidnapping and murder of two Arizona girls who disappeared in 2012 and 2014, authorities announced Saturday.
Christopher Matthew Clements, 36, was indicted on Friday by a grand jury on the murder and kidnapping charges in the death of 6-year-old Isabel Celis, and 13-year-old Maribel Gonzalez, said Tucson police chief Chris Magnus.
Celis went missing from her Tucson home in April 2012 and her body was discovered in what was described as a rural area in the south in March 2017.
Gonzalez’ body was discovered in June 2014 in the Avra-Valley community in the vicinity of Tucson, not far from where Celis’ remains were found.
Magnus and other officials held a press conference to announce the indictment, but refused to answer questions from reporters and do not disclose how the girls died or what was the reason for the authorities to investigate Clements in the killings, except to say that the FBI in 2017 learned Clements may have information about the death of Celis.
He provided information to authorities that led to the discovery of Celis’ remains, Magnus said.
Magnus said Clements had been in prison on other charges when the indictment was issued.
Pima County Attorney Barbara LaWall said Clements, ” fear was “far too late.”
“The heart-wrenching tragedies of Maribel Gonzalez and Isabel Celis’ murders strengthened by a very long, long wait for justice, ” she said.
Celis’ father reported the girl missing after finding she was not in her bedroom.
The police earlier, not the name of the suspects, but they said they found “suspicious circumstances around a possible entry point” in the house.
A medical examiner last year ruled Isabel Celis’ death as “homicide by unspecified means.” A heavily redacted autopsy report did not indicate how they died.
Gonzalez went missing on her way to a friend’s house and her body was found days later.
Clements made his first appearance Saturday morning.
He does not yet have a lawyer, but will be assigned to a Sept. 24 arrest.