News

Man threatened attack against the Harvard black start, the authorities say

Harvard University, gave a first start for black students in May 2017, two days before the main ceremony. Authorities say an Arizona man had made threats against the event.

(Reuters)

An Arizona man was Friday arrested in connection with the threats of last year to bomb and shoot the participants in a commencement ceremony for black students at the University of Harvard, authorities said.

Ministry of justice: #Arizona man encouraged “violence and death” on @Harvard Black Start https://t.co/P0KnLoXSj2

— azcentral (@azcentral) June 9, 2018

The suspect, identified as Nicholas Zuckerman, 24, faces federal charges of “transmitting in interstate and foreign commerce a threat to injure the person of another,” the Arizona Republic reported, with reference to the U. S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts.

“If the blacks only ceremony is done, then I encourage the violence and the death. I think two machines with the expanding clips. Just so, no (N-word) gets away with it,” Zuckerman wrote on several Harvard Instagram posts in May 2017.

Zuckerman used the hashtag “bombharvard” about 11 times in the span of four minutes, authorities said.

Harvard was the first Black Commencement ceremony on May 23, 2017. The event was separated from Harvard’s main commencement, which took place two days later.

“Congratulations to #BlackHarvard you already have a source of inspiration to every black child in there,” a Twitter user wrote.

Congratulations to #BlackatHarvard you already have a source of inspiration for every black child.

Tshidiso Ramogale I am sick proud of you. pic.twitter.com/rMUpESZ5GZ

— Zakhele Nkosi (@Zak_Legend) 23 May 2017

“A few minutes of Harvard’s first black graduate! #BlackHarvard #HarvardBC”, wrote another.

Minutes of Harvard’s first black graduate! #BlackAtHarvard #HarvardBC pic.twitter.com/DVQkh5K3xq

— D. White (@dewjr87) 23 May 2017

The University of the first Department of the Police got the wind of Zuckerman’s post and gave the case to the federal authorities.

Zuckerman is due in a Boston federal court. According to the public registers, are the most recent residence was in Tempe, Arizona., about 10 miles east of Phoenix.

Zuckerman, faces up to five years in prison and a fine of $ 250,000 if convicted.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Bradford Betz is an editor for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @bradford_betz.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular