News

Man learns the hard way that mixing of puffer fish, and cocaine is a horrible idea

Puffer fish liver has a high concentration of the poison is known as tetrodotoxin.
(Shutterstock)

A combination of cocaine and a poisonous puffer fish liver, sent a Florida man to the emergency room, according to a new report.

The liver of a pufferfish, known as fugu, is considered a delicacy in Japan. The first floor is risky, as the fish liver, contains high concentrations of a deadly poison known as tetrodotoxin (TTX), causing paralysis if ingested.

“Puffer fish is something that you don’t want to just catch it and eat it,” said Dr. Zane Horowitz, medical director of the Oregon Poison center at Oregon Health Science University who was not involved in the man’s case. “There are chefs in Japan go through many years of training on how to properly prepare it, so that they don’t kill their customers.” [Photos: “The Power of Poison Through Time]

FORMAT is up to 1200 times more toxic than cyanide; less than a teaspoon of it can kill a person. Once it has been ingested, TTX blocks the voltage-gated sodium channels in certain nerve cells. If these neurons are blocked, the muscles cannot contract. The symptoms of TTX poisoning range from a tingling sensation, numbness, nausea, dizziness, and nausea, to muscle weakness, difficulty in breathing, paralysis, and death.

More From LiveScience

  • In Pictures: The Power of Poison Through Time
  • respiratory failure
  • 27 Bizarre Medical Cases
  • BMJ Case Reports

Since there is no antidote for TTX, doctors will often have patients on ventilators to help them breathe until the body excretes the poison.

The 43-year-old man, the matter is more complex than that of a typical fugu-eaters, though. Over the past couple of days, he had ingested the cocaine, and ate canned food, which made the doctors question whether the food of botulism was made on the play, as well.

The man had high blood pressure (possibly from his use of cocaine), and chronic kidney disease, the doctors noted. When he was THERE, he was not in good shape, and he was throwing it, had the weakness, difficulty speaking, and told me that he had a stomach-ache, tearing pain in the chest, and legs went numb.

The man’s brother, who had also nibbled on the puffer fish, and came with him to the hospital. However, because of its fugu, the portion was smaller, they had fewer symptoms of dizziness and leg weakness, which the doctors said.

Emergency responders are immediately and gave the man medication to reduce his high blood pressure and be intubated him, so that he would be able to breathe, as if the TTX paralysis of his breathing muscles. In the case, he has botulism, they also gave him botulinum antitoxin, and the doctors have been reported.

The man was given the medication that has been shown to help other people who had eaten bad fugu. However, his recovery was far from easy; in fact, as in the intensive care unit, the patient developed pneumonia and kidney problems, all kinds of to him to go on dialysis.

“In the end, it is the patient’s respiratory failure resolved, however, in renal [kidney] function does not recover, the patient remains dialysis dependent, to the present day,” the doctors wrote in the report. “The patient’s grandmother passed a more favorable clinical course and did not require ICU management.”

“The report [case report], it is very clear:” Don’t eat the puffer fish!'” Bill Atchison, a professor of pharmacology and toxicology at Michigan State University who was not involved in the patients’ care, told us that the progress of Science.

For any other questions

Pataki said he had asked a couple of questions about the state of the patient. For example, in the case it does not say how the man obtained the puffer fish, though, “there are resources, such as the underground markets, and the fishing in Florida, the doctors wrote.

If the man had the fish, and then to the ministry of health may be tested for the FORMAT, Horowitz said. As the fish was long gone, and the doctors have checked on the man in the presence of TTX, just to make sure of the diagnosis, he added. [27 Bizarre Medical Cases]

A definitive diagnosis is important because the man was one of the other co-occurring condition, which is good for some of the symptoms, Horowitz said.

After all, it is not clear why the doctors suspected botulism, the man’s symptoms did not coincide with that of the botulism toxin. As this toxin can lead to paralysis, people with botulism poisoning symptoms, such as difficulty in swallowing, difficulty in breathing, and droopy eyelids, Horowitz said. The report states that the man is at “canned food,” which may contain the toxin, but does not indicate whether the food has been canned by a professional (in the case of botulism, it would be unlikely), or someone, Horowitz said.

Horowitz added that the man in the kidney, probably caused by the FORMAT or the suspicion of botulism. On the contrary, the offender was likely to use cocaine, which can cause the blood pressure to rise.

“[Cocaine is not is not directly toxic to the kidney, per se,” Horowitz said. But, “if you do cocaine, or you can do it once more and also have a very high blood pressure, it’s going to have a serious effect on the body.”

In the case report, the authors could not be reached for comment. The study was published online June 7 in the journal BMJ Case Reports.

  • 5 Lethal Chemical Warfare Agents
  • 7 things to know About the Deadly nerve agent Sarin
  • Dangers in the Deep: 10 Scariest sea creatures

Originally published on Live Science.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular