News

Man accused of driving into crowd in Charlottesville rally, killing 1 person, charged with federal hate crime

James Alex Fields Jr. now for hate crime charges after being accused of plowing a car into a crowd of people that a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

(AP/Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail)

The man accused of mowing of the counter-protesters last year, white nationalist rally in Charlottesville is now facing federal hate crime charges.

James Alex Fields Jr., a 21-year-old man from Ohio, has been charged with one count of a hate crime resulting in the death of the 32-year-old Heather Heyer. Also he is faced with 28 other hate crimes against involve trying to kill it, according to an indictment released Wednesday, in addition to the first-degree murder and other charges at the level of the state.

“If the Fields reason and through the crowd, Fields hit a large number of people, the killing of Heather Heyer and the wounding of many others,” the indictment reads.

It said that the day for the “Unite the Right” rally in Virginia, a member of the family warned Fields, by means of a sms message, to be careful as he prepared to leave his home in Maumee.

“We are not the ones who should be careful,” Fields reportedly wrote back, enclosing a picture of Adolf Hitler.

The indictment also said prior to the rally Fields, by means of social media accounts, he operated, “expressed and promoted his belief that whites are superior to other races and peoples, expressed support of the social and racial politics of Adolf Hitler and Nazi-era Germany, including the Holocaust; and espoused violence against African-Americans, jews and members of other racial, ethnic, and religious groups who he saw as non-white.”

And when he came to the rally, “participants, including Fields, active in the songs or promote the expression of white supremacy and other racist and anti-Semitic views,” the indictment added.

“Last summer’s violence in Charlottesville short a promising young life and shocked the nation,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Wednesday. “Today’s indictment should send a clear message to any would-be criminal in America, that we aggressively prosecute violent crimes of hatred that constitute a threat to the basic principles of our nation.”

Meanwhile, the organizer behind the rally is planning another event in August, but this time, right next to the White House.

The National Park Service announced last week that the approval of a request for Jason Kessler’s “white civil rights rally”, scheduled for the weekend of August 11 in Lafayette Square. A licence is not yet issued and the details are still to be completed.

The meeting will fall on the one-year anniversary of the Charlottesville event.

“icipants will meet each other at the rally point of convenience for the enforcement of the law, then march to Lafayette to give speeches,” Kessler wrote in his application in for the event, describes it as a meeting that will be “protesting civil rights abuses in Charlottesville Va.”

Kessler says he expects about 400 participants, and added that “the members of Antifa groups will try to disrupt.”

In a website, promotion of the event, says that the participants should bring only the American or the Southern flags, that it is “required” to wear a body camera, and that they only take bathroom breaks at “approved” times to prevent the separated.

“No one should have to fight through a crowd of armed Communists to a public park and expressing their Constitutional rights,” it adds.

Kessler, who is from Charlottesville, originally tried to go back to the city to keep the birthday rally, but were turned away, the Associated Press reported.

Kessler said last year’s event that was organized in part to protest against the removal of the Southern symbols.

“This is about an anti-white climate within the Western world and the need for white people to have the legal profession as other groups do,” he was quoted as saying.

Kessler is also a founder of a group dedicated to “the defense of Western Civilization,” Fox News previously reported, and identifies himself as a “freelance journalist”.

Fox News’ Kathleen Joyce contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular