News

Man accused of driving into crowd in Charlottesville rally faces federal charges, could get death penalty

close


Video

Hate-crime charges filed in Charlottesville auto attack

Charlottesville car attack suspect facing more than two dozen federal hate-crime charges.

The man accused of mowing of the counter-protesters last year, white nationalist rally in Charlottesville is now facing federal hate crimes charges and could receive the dealth penalty if convicted.

James Alex Fields Jr., a 21-year-old man from Ohio, has been charged with one count of a hate crime resulting in the death of the 32-year-old Heather Heyer. He is also faced with 28 other hate crimes against there is an attempt to kill dozens of other people who were injured, according to an indictment released Wednesday, A 30-charges accusing him of “racist, violent interference” with federally protected activity.

At a press conference, the Prosecutor of the V. S. Thomas Cullen told reporters that a Ministry of Justice, the team would present Attorney-General, Jeff Sessions, with the option of pursuing the death penalty. Cullen added that the Meetings would be a decision on the matter in the “near future.”

Fields already faces first-degree murder and other charges at the level of the state. He is due to stand trial on those charges in November.

Researchers say that the Fields drove his speeding car into a group of people demonstrate against the ‘Unite the Right” rally Aug. 12 that drew hundreds of white nationalists at the college to the city, where officials planned to remove a Confederate monument.

“With respect to all 30 counts, it is claimed that the Fields acted in this case because of the race, color, religion, national origin of that crowd,” Cullen said.

Prosecutors say that the Fields repeatedly pointed to the white supremacist, anti-Semitic and neo-Nazi views, views on social media for attending the Charlottesville rally.

James Alex Fields Jr.

(Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail)

According to the indictment, a relative text Fields to be cautious as he prepared to leave his home for the rally.

“We are not the ones who should be careful,” Fields reportedly wrote back, enclosing a picture of Adolf Hitler.

And when he came to the rally, “participants, including Fields, active in the songs or promote the expression of white supremacy and other racist and anti-Semitic views,” the indictment added.

“Last summer’s violence in Charlottesville short a promising young life and shocked the nation,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Wednesday. “Today’s indictment should send a clear message to any would-be criminal in America, that we aggressively prosecute violent crimes of hatred that constitute a threat to the basic principles of our nation.”

Meanwhile, the organizer behind the rally is planning another event in August, but this time, right next to the White House.

The National Park Service announced last week that the approval of a request for Jason Kessler’s “white civil rights rally”, scheduled for the weekend of August 11 in Lafayette Square. A licence is not yet issued and the details are still to be completed.

The meeting will fall on the one-year anniversary of the Charlottesville event.

“icipants will meet each other at the rally point of convenience for the enforcement of the law, then march to Lafayette to give speeches,” Kessler wrote in his application in for the event, describes it as a meeting that will be “protesting civil rights abuses in Charlottesville Va.”

Kessler says he expects about 400 participants, and added that “the members of Antifa groups will try to disrupt.”

In a website, promotion of the event, says that the participants should bring only the American or the Southern flags, that it is “required” to wear a body camera, and that they only take bathroom breaks at “approved” times to prevent the separated.

“No one should have to fight through a crowd of armed Communists to a public park and expressing their Constitutional rights,” it adds.

Kessler, who is from Charlottesville, originally tried to go back to the city to keep the birthday rally, but were turned away, the Associated Press reported.

Kessler said last year’s event that was organized in part to protest against the removal of the Southern symbols.

“This is about an anti-white climate within the Western world and the need for white people to have the legal profession as other groups do,” he was quoted as saying.

Kessler is also a founder of a group dedicated to “the defense of Western Civilization,”Fox News previously reported, and identifies himself as a “freelance journalist”.

Fox News’ Kathleen Joyce, Samuel Chamberlain, Kellianne Jones and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular