Man, 2 teens charged in Mount Vernon officer shooting

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. – A 44-year-old man suspected of shooting a police officer in the head, in the state of Washington, was charged Tuesday tried with the first-degree murder.

Ernesto Lee Rivas was charged in the shooting of Officer Mike “Mick” McClaughry, who was shot while recruiting of a district in Mount Vernon on Thursday, about 60 miles north of Seattle.

McClaughry and other officers were in the neighborhood looking for witnesses of a report of another shooting earlier that day.

McClaughry remained in critical condition in a Seattle hospital Tuesday.

The 61-year-old director is a father of three children and grandfather, who started working with the Mount Vernon Police Department in 1985.

Rivas, an alleged member of the gang, is being held on $ 1 million bail. He was taken into custody after an hourslong standoff, which authorities say he repeatedly fired at officers.

According to court records, he has not admitted to shooting McClaughry.

Rivas has an extensive criminal record, which includes eight felony convictions, according to the judge, and the patrol of the records. In 1998, he reached a plea deal with Yakima County prosecutors that saved him from a life sentence for a third-strike conviction for his part in the abduction and the interrogation of four people believed he stole a woman’s necklace, according to a Yakima Herald-Republic story.

The first images on Thursday that brought police to the neighborhood occurred when a man linked to a gang was shot by someone from a rival gang, the documents said.

Two boys, aged 15 and 16, which in the house with Rivas during the confrontation, were also charged Tuesday tried with the first-degree murder in the officer shooting. The teenagers were also accused of attempted second-degree murder in connection with the earlier recording.

The officer shooting came less than a month after a Tacoma police officer was killed responding to a domestic violence call. Officer Reginald “Jake” Gutierrez, 45, was fatally shot Nov. 30. The suspected shooter was killed by a sheriff of the shooter, the end of an 11-hour stand-off.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular