News

Kent State plans and the 50th anniversary of the deadly May 4 shootings

KENT, Ohio – Kent State University is planning a series of events from next year on the occasion of 50 years since the Ohio National Guard members fatally shot four students and nine wounded during the protests of the Vietnam War on May 4, 1970.

The school says the memorial will begin in the fall of 2019 and will continue until the actual anniversary in 2020.

Kent State says that it is in the process of scheduling events, academic activities and programming to reflect on the impact of the shootings and inspire commitment to a peaceful solution of a conflict and freedom of expression.

Federal officials designated the site as a National Historic landmark last year. She said the shootings helped change public opinion about the War in Vietnam and has led to changes in military policy on civil disturbances.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular