News

Judge rejects Saudi Arabia’s attempt to throw 9/11 lawsuits

NEW YORK – A judge on Wednesday rejected Saudi Arabia is the movement at the end of a New York lawsuit to keep responsible in the Sept. 11 attacks.

In the rejection of the motion, the U. S. District Judge George Daniels said the plaintiffs ‘ allegations met the requirements for the court to assume among the powers of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act.

Congress passed the law in 2016 more than the President Barack Obama’s veto, allowing the claims to go forward against Saudi Arabia after they were rejected once in the courts.

“This is truly a historic day for the families,” said Sean Carter, a lawyer for the plaintiffs. “The families already have many years to give a chance for the Saudi government to answer on the merits.”

A message seeking comment from the lawyer of the Saudi government, was not immediately returned.

Daniels had previously rejected arguments that Saudi Arabia is behind the hijackers. On Wednesday decision, he also dismissed claims against two Saudi banks and a construction company with ties to Osama bin laden, say that he is not qualified.

Hundreds of family members of the victims and wounded survivors, along with the injured companies, sued the Saudi government in 2003, saying its employees knowingly assisted the hijackers the attacks and fueled al-Qaeda’s development into a terrorist organization by the financing of charities that have supported the group.

Fifteen of the 19 perpetrators were saudi nationals. The US examined some Saudi diplomats, and others with the Saudi government ties who knew the hijackers after their arrival in the U.S., according to the now released documents.

The 9/11 Commission report, “no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded” the attacks of al-Qaeda, the mastermind behind, but the commission also noted that “the chance” that Saudi government-sponsored charities did.

The Saudi government has long denied any involvement in the attacks.

During a hearing in January, attorney Michael Kellogg, arguing for Saudi Arabia, cited in the report, repeatedly, together with the findings of the balloons by the FBI and the CIA.

“All rejected Saudi Arabia was responsible,” he said.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular