BRIGHTON, Colo. – A man who is accused of the murder of three people at a busy suburb of Denver Walmart last fall fired seven shots in 20 seconds in the vicinity of the entrance for walking out without saying anything, the lead investigator said Friday.
Detective Doug Parker testified during a hearing after which the district court judge Mark Warner ruled that there was enough evidence for Scott Ostrem, 48, to stand trial in the killings. Ostrom will not be asked to enter a plea until Aug. 24.
The gun Ostrem is supposed to be used is not found, although shell casings discovered in the shop agree with that, Parker said Ostrem left after doing the shooting, at a distance of about four hours before the Nov. 1, 2017, shooting in Thornton.
That would be after he uncommon his work as a metal fabricator earlier in the day, according to the previous comments of his boss.
Researchers used images from a number of the about 200 cameras inside and outside the store and the engine of the vehicle to identify Ostrem as the shooter and follow him down. The images of the camera from different angles, along with testimonies helped them reconstruct the shooting.
The defense drew attention to conflicting accounts and descriptions of the shooter by the shoppers and the employees. Some described the shooter as the Spanish. One person said that he had red hair and “mean eyes.”
Ostrem is white with brown hair. All of the victims were Hispanic, as were many of the people in the store at the time.
Ostrem is charged with the killing of Pamela Marques, 52, and Victor Vasquez, 26, both from Denver, and Carlos Moreno, 66, of Thornton. He is also charged with 30 counts of attempted first-degree murder on shots at others in the store.
This version has been corrected to show Marques was 52.