JetBlue flight inadvertently sends hijack alert, which led to the great terror of JFK airport



Police surround the plane to New York JFK airport

Raw video: JetBlue flight detained on the tarmac after the radio-equipment problem that created a security scare.

A JetBlue flight was allegedly not respond to tower communications during taxiing for departure at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City Tuesday evening, triggering a security scare.

Flight 1623 was scheduled to depart for Los Angeles at 7:30 pm ET, but responding to the air traffic control for take off.

The pilot had entered a hijack alert by mistake, which sent the Port Authority Police Emergency services unit on board the aircraft, sources told The New York Daily News.

According to the tweets of the passengers, “heavily armed police and FBI agents boarded the plane to investigate the incident.

I’m on a Jet Blue flight to JFK that lost its communication. Made of a security crisis. 10 heavily armed agents boarded the plane and just left. After 1.5 hours on the track, towed back to the gate. Wow.

— Tony Schwartz (@tonyschwartz) June 27, 2018

“I hate guns. They were wise they, just like us,” passenger Alexa Curtis told CBS Los Angeles. “It was traumatic.”

She said that some people are afraid that she suffered from a terrorist attack for take off.

“People were like crying. Everyone sms ‘ and their family, and we were on the ground, so usually this would happen in the air as it would happen,” Curtis said. “People were ready to die.”

Woah. My worst nightmare. @Delta on JFK to LAX now, to be honest, thought we were going to die. I AM ALIVE THANK GOSH I MEDITATE YOU GUYS what is the ??

— Alexa Curtis (@Alexa_Curtis) June 27, 2018

The FAA released a report about the situation, and says that the plane experienced a “radio problem.”

“JetBlue 1623, an Airbus A320, an experienced radio-equipment problem while taxing for departure at John F. Kennedy International Airport tonight at 8 pm, The crew asked to return to the slope. The FAA will investigate.”

FAA STATEMENT: @JetBlue 1623, an Airbus A320 aircraft experiencing radio problem while taxiing for departure in @JFKairport on about 8 hours today. The crew asked to return to the terminal. The #FAA will investigate.

— The FAA (@FAANews) June 27, 2018

The message turned out to be a false alarm, Lenis Rodrigues, a Port Authority spokeswoman told The Daily News.

“(The) aircraft was inspected and approved with no security threat,” Rodrigues said.

At 8:15 am local time, the tower reportedly restored radio contact with the crew of the aircraft.


Fox News’ Amy’s Place contributed to this report.

Alexandra Deabler is a Lifestyle writer and editor for Fox News.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular