Jayme Closs, a teenager who disappeared in Wisconsin in October of last year, is found alive and a suspect is taken into custody, officials said Thursday.
Jayme Closs, a teenager who disappeared in Wisconsin in October of last year, is found alive and a suspect is taken into custody, the officials said.
Closs, 13, was discovered in the town of Gordon in Douglas County by the sheriff’s department around 4:45 p.m., the Barron County Sheriff’s Department, he wrote on Facebook Thursday. She was found about 70 miles from where she was last seen.
Closs disappeared on Oct. 15 after her parents were fatally shot in their home in Barron County, located about 80 km northeast of Minneapolis. Autopsies determined that the two died of gunshot wounds and were killed, and that Closs was in the house when they were killed.
Milwaukee’s Fox 6 reported that the authorities were able to find Closs after a tip that was phoned in.
A suspect was taken into custody. Authorities say that there is no other information at this time.
FLASHBACK: MISSING WISCONSIN TEEN, 13, IS IN DANGER, NOT A RUNAWAY, THE POLICE SAY, SEARCH STRENGTHENED AFTER THE PARENTS KILLED
The announcement was posted online at around 8 o’clock in the evening Hours before the official statement, the sheriff’s office denied reports that she was located. Officials are planning a press conference for around 10 to Friday.
Drone footage captures the search for Jayme Closs
The local authorities and the FBI launched an investigation into her disappearance and said at the time that they believed the teenager was kidnapped. “I tell you that Jayme is missing and endangered,” Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said at a press conference in October.
FLASHBACK: JAYME CLOSS ” THE FAMILY, THE COMMUNITY, TO HOPE THAT 2 MONTHS AFTER THE DISAPPEARANCE OF A TEENAGER
Emergency logs released days later appeared to indicate that the telephone of the cell of Closs’ mother, a 46-year-old Denise Closs, placed the call and that her father, a 56-year-old James Closs, answered the door and was the first time that a fatal shot.
“No one spoke about that conversation and we don’t know who made it. We heard voices, but we can’t make out what was being said,” Fitzgerald told Fox News in November. “We believe Jayme was home at the time of the call was made.”
Detectives pursued thousands of tips, looked at dozens of surveillance videos and conducted numerous searches in the attempt to find the girl.
Jayme Closs, 13, disappeared on Oct. 15 after her parents were fatally shot in their home in Barron County, located about 80 km northeast of Minneapolis.
(With thanks to the Barron County Sheriff’s Department via AP, File)
About two weeks after they disappeared, a man identified as Kyle Jaenke-Annis, 32, was arrested for allegedly burglarizing the Closs house. He was allegedly found with two little girls, tank tops, underwear, and a dress. However, Barron County officials cleared him of any involvement in the disappearance of a teenager.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP
The sheriff previously said his office is that about 25 tips per day on Closs’ disappear. He was confident that Closs was alive somewhere.
“I have a feeling that she’s still alive,” Fitzgerald said. “I’ve always been a glass-half-full kind of guy.”
Fox News’ Bradford Betz and The Associated Press contributed to this report.