Gaming community rocked by Jacksonville shooting
Gunman who killed two at a Madden 19 NFL tournament was well known in the professional gaming events; Phil Keating reports from Jacksonville on the response.
The CEO of EA late Monday said he will cancel the remaining Madden Classic qualifier events after two people were fatally shot and 10 others wounded in a “Madden NFL 19” tournament in Jacksonville, Fla.
“We have a decision to stop with our three remaining Madden Classic qualifier events while we perform a comprehensive assessment of the security of the protocols for the competitors and the spectators,” Andrew Wilson said in a statement. “We will work with our partners and our internal teams to a consistent level of safety in our competitive gaming events.”
David Katz, 24, of Baltimore specifically addressed his fellow gamers attending the tournament on the Sunday before killing himself, authorities said.
Katz died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound after he shot several people, police said. In addition to the dead, 11 other people were injured, nine of them with gunshot wounds.
Katz, whose vehicle was located and seized by investigators, is believed to have stayed somewhere local on Saturday evening for the shooting.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office added that there is “cooperation” in Baltimore with the ATF and the FBI as part of the research.
An eyewitness to Sunday afternoon’s mass shooting told Fox News that the gamer, now identified as Katz, had been eliminated from the tournament, before he opened fire.
The Associated Press contributed to this report