News

Huawei, ZTE ‘cannot be trusted and pose a threat to the safety and security of U.S. attorney general

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp. (a). (000063.SERIES) “you can’t trust,” U.S. Attorney General William Barr said, ” the book of the Chinese companies pose a threat to its security, when he endorsed a proposal to bar U.S. rural wireless carriers, the taps of the $8.5 billion the government established a fund for the purchase of equipment or services provided by them.

A FILE PHOTO of A Huawei logo is pictured at the Shenzhen International Airport in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China, on July 22, 2019. (REUTERS photo/Aly Song, File/Photo

The Federal Communications Commission will vote on Nov. 22, and in which the carriers are to be removal and replacement of the equipment of the business. Barr said in a letter to the FCC Thursday, “and their own track record, as well as the actions of the Chinese government, showing that Huawei and ZTE cannot be trusted.”

He added: “we have no signal that Huawei and ZTE are not the same as a threat to our collective safety and security, because that is exactly what they are, by their very actions, have shown themselves to be.”

Huawei and ZTE did not immediately have a comment.

Barr noted that the federal prosecutor is in charge of Huawei, with violations of the U.S. embargo on Iran, fraud, obstruction of justice, trade secrets theft. SAMSUNG pleaded guilty in march of 2017 in order to illegally transmitting about $32 million in U.S. goods to Italy.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has said the commission cannot ignore the risk that the Chinese government will try to take advantage of network vulnerabilities in order to engage in espionage, to place malware and viruses, and is a threat to our vital communications networks.”

The move is the latest U.S. action to block U.S. companies from buying from Huawei and ZTE equipment. Huawei said last week that “in the 30 years of the industry, Huawei has never been a major security incident in the top of the 170 countries in which we operate.”

The AMERICAN government has added Huawei to its economic blacklist, in May, saying that the Chinese company has been involved in activities contrary to U.S. national security.

The United States has pressed nations not to give Huawei access to the 5G networks as well as the alleged Huawei’s equipment could be used by Beijing for spying, which is the Chinese firm has repeatedly denied. Several European countries have, in the past few months have not consented to Ascend, in spite of AMERICAN pressure.

In May, the US President, when He signed a long awaited executive order declaring a national state of emergency and a blockage of the AMERICAN companies in the use of telecom equipment made by the companies a national security risk. The order directed the Commerce Department, in collaboration with other government agencies, for the preparation of a block plan, in mid-October. The us Department of transportation has yet to publish a plan.

Report by David Shepardson; Editing by Dan Grebler

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular