FILE PHOTO: mobile phone Huawei its first global flagship retail store is pictured in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China, on 30 October 2019 at the latest. (REUTERS photo/Aly Song, File/Photo
ROME (Reuters) – Chinese telecoms firm, Huawei, should be allowed to have a role to play in the Italian, the future 5G network, the Italian industry minister said on Sunday, after a powerful parliamentary committee is called, in Rome, the blocking up of the company.
The United States has been lobbying in Italy and in other European allies to ensure that, with the help of Smartphone devices in the next-generation of networks, and to closely examine competitor SAMSUNG, saying the companies pose a security risk.
The two companies have strongly denied there was such a risk.
“We have to have legislation passed that would guarantee the national security. To the right of the defence, the possibility of Huawei’s access, is not up for debate,” the minister Went, Patuanelli, which is part of the award of the 5-Star Movement, told the La Stampa daily.
Last week, Italy’s parliament’s committee for the protection of Copasir, said that the government would have to consider in the prevention of Huawei and ZTE to take part in the development of 5G networks.
Italy’s largest phone group Telecom Italia (TIM), which is in the process of choosing our suppliers, in order to upgrade its network infrastructure, Huawei has been one of the contenders.
Office of secretary of state Richard Fraccaro, it also has a 5-Star member, said on Friday that the government would not be able to ignore the advice of Copasir.
But Patuanelli said on Sunday that “the Smartphone provides the best solutions at the best possible price.”
“You can’t fly the flag of the market with one hand, and protectionism by the other,” he added.
Reporting is by Giselda Vagnoni; Editing by Kirsten Donovan