in the vicinityVideoUS legislature to denounce the plan to divert military money for Trump border wall
Democratic legislators fought back against the Ministry of defence on Tuesday about its plan for the relocation of up to $1 billion in military funds to pay for the 57 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexican border, with the head of the House Armed Services Committee, called it “incredibly irresponsible.”
The Pentagon informed Congress late Monday that he had authorized the transfer of funds under a Federal law that would make it to “construct roads and fences and Installation of lighting to block drug smuggling corridors across international boundaries of the United States, in support of counter-narcotics activities of Federal law enforcement authorities.”
Armed Services Committee Chairman Adam Smith, D-Wash., said in a statement that the Congress had the Defense Department with the ability to redirect a limited amount of resources ” to manage you additional flexibility, day-to-day operations. To use the DoD last message of his intention, the process for the reprogramming of $ 1 billion, without congressional approval is a violation of the trust.”
To deny a hearing with the acting Minister of defence, Patrick Shanahan, and other Pentagon leaders, Smith a letter from the Committee to the Ministry of defence, in its formal request to postpone the money. The panel did not block the legal power to the transmission but was able to block changes in the law, a promotion of changes in the future.
TO OVERRIDE THE HOUSE DEMS TRUMP THE VETO TO FAIL IN THE FIGHT OVER THE BORDER EMERGENCY DECLARATION
“You will not ask for our permission,” Smith, Shanahan said. “Now you understand, the result is that, most likely, is that the Central Committee, the Pentagon’s reprogramming authority.”
In response, Shanahan, the legislator said that he knew that with the means of the cross-border wall the risk of loss of the legislator, supply the trust.
“We said, ‘Here are the risks, long-term, acting in the Department,” said Secretary. “And these risks were weighed, and then, due to a statutory mandate from the commander-in-chief, we are executing on this order.”
The Pentagon must government reshuffle funds to $1B is approved for border wall
A congressional aide told Fox News that the Pentagon is redirecting the money over the objections of the legislature was “breaking decades-long tradition on Capitol Hill.”
David advocacy group he, of the Department’s budget chief, said the legislator, of the money for the construction in Yuma, El Paso border sectors come from an army-personnel-account. This branch of the service has been short of his 2018 recruiting goal of more than 6000 new soldiers.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Shanahan had barrier with funds from an existing Pentagon drug account in the direction of the border, but officials told Fox News on Tuesday that it was only about $85 million to the account.
The Pentagon last week sent to Capitol Hill a list of more than 400 military construction projects, a total of about$ 13 billion that could be tapped for wall-financing. But Shanahan has said that there is no money for military housing or barracks would not be affected, as well as all of the projects, awarded contracts, the Sept before the end of the fiscal year. 30. If these projects are removed, about 150 remain, in the total amount of around 4.3 billion$.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.