File photo: The Google logo is pictured atop an office building in Irvine, California, USA August 7, 2017. (REUTERS/Mike Blake)
Google is flooded with 2.4 million applications from individuals and companies in the whole of Europe to be ‘forgotten’ is, wiped clean of any Web search.
Most of the requests came from the regular Joes want sensitive information such as their address or personal photos or videos have been removed from the Google search results, the company said in its annual transparency report released on Tuesday.
But in the others looking to take advantage of Europe ‘ s 2014 “right to be forgotten” law were 41,213 requests from celebrities and 33,937 requests of politicians, Google said in the report.
The law, enacted by the European Union in May 2014, Google and other search engines to the information if a valid request is received.
The americans do not have the ability to ask search engines to remove their names from the search results.
In Europe, the results of which are eligible to be removed, must be deemed “inaccurate, inadequate, irrelevant or excessive” by the search engine’s staff and must be identified that do not lead to an important public interest.
The 2,437,271 requests received by Google relate to the period from the time that the act came into force until December 2017.
Google said that it has processed 2.08 million requests, and that 43 percent, or about 900,000, are considered valid and are of the list.
The right-to-be-forgotten law is so popular that a cottage industry seems to have popped up to help businesses of others to make RTBF requests. Approximately 1,000 applicants — mainly law firms and reputation-management services — good for 360,000, or 15 percent of the RTBF bids, Google said.
While the law is very popular, the question is delayed. Google noted that 39.7 percent of de-listing requests were made in the first year of the RTBF with 24.9 percent the second year and 22 percent in the third year.
Approximately one third of the requests related to the removal of personal data from social media and directory sites, while a fifth of the requests for removal of an applicant’s legal history.
This story was previously published in the New York Post.