News

George Clooney defends Meghan Markle, slams media coverage: ‘history repeats itself’

George Clooney is the defense of Meghan Markle.
(Reuters)

George Clooney is standing up for Meghan Markle.

The 57-year-old actor, who was busy promoting his upcoming Hulu series “Catch-22” at the Television Critics Association conference in Pasadena, Calif., took the time to slam the way in which the 37-year-old man has been treated by the press since becoming a member of the British royal family.

“They are just chasing Meghan Markle everywhere, they persecuted and maligned,” Clooney told reporters on Monday, as reported by The Associated Press. “She is a woman who is seven months pregnant and she has been persecuted and slandered and chased in the same way that [Princess] Diana was and the history repeats itself.”

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MEGHAN MARKLE’S BABY

Princess Diana with her son Prince Harry.
(Reuters)

“We have seen how that ends,” warned Clooney.

Diana died in a car accident while being chased by paparazzi in 1997 at the age of 36.

Clooney and his wife Amal attended Markle’s wedding to Diana’s son, Prince Harry, last year.

Australia’s Who magazine also claimed that the actor clarified whether or not he will be the new royal baby’s godfather.

“Oh yes, I will be the godfather of the royals, apparently,” he reportedly remarked. Clooney stressed he was joking and said ” No!”

“I am the father of twins, I’ve had enough of the s— to deal with — literally!” he said.

Amal Clooney and George Clooney arrive for the wedding ceremony of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in the St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle in Windsor, near London, England, on Saturday 19 May 2018. (Charles Fuller/pool photo via AP)
(Charles Fuller/pool photo via AP)

MEGHAN MARKLE “AT HER WIT’S END’

Amal, 41, gave birth to a daughter Ella, and son Alexander in June 2017.

Markle is due to give birth to her first child, Harry, 34, somewhere in the spring of this year.

Clooney’s statements come on the same day that sources close to the former “Suits” star told Vanity Fair, she is at her wit’s end’, about her father’s decision to speak with the media, even begged him to stop.

Kensington Palace has declined to comment on Thomas Markle, the decision of leakage of the handwritten letter the actress wrote to him in the wake of her marriage to Harry.

The 74-year-old told the BRITISH Daily Mail that he originally planned to the letter “completely private, out of respect” to her friends launched their” attack on him last week about the reported rift he has with his famous daughter, who was officially the Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.

Meghan Markle ‘playing a dangerous game” with her father, Thomas, a royal biographer claims.
(Mega/Reuters)

Sources close to Markle told the magazine she has no plans to respond to the letter be released, for fear “it could escalate an already difficult situation.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“She cares for her father and worries about him, and about his mental health, which is one of the reasons that they do not want to comment on this,” said a source. “It is a very complex, highly emotional situation, and let’s not forget, she is seven months pregnant.”

The source added Markle “destroyed” the former Hollywood lighting director has once again chosen to betray her privacy.

In the letter, Markle asked the patriarch to stop talking with the press, so that they could try to work out their differences.

Vanity Fair also taught Queen Elizabeth II is concerned about the situation between Markle and Thomas. A friend of the family told the publication that the monarch is not only aware of the family rift, but has urged Markle and her grandson to try to fix the problem.

Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
(Getty)

“They told me that the whole thing was a nightmare, and that they should try things out,” claimed the friend.

Buckingham Palace has refused to comment on the claim.

Those close to the couple also shared that Thomas’ decision to speak with the press once more has probably cost him no chance to reconcile with his distraught daughter. She insisted that Harry is “upset” and “angry” that his father-in-law, whom he has never met, is still speaking to the press.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular