News

Gas station explosion that killed a man ruled accident

BENSALEM, Pa. – Officials say that an electric shop vacuum causes the gas station explosion in Pennsylvania death of a man, and left another seriously injured.

Bensalem Fire and Rescue said Thursday that the 63-year-old Joe Vigilante was using the vacuum to remove water from a safe surrounding one of the station’s 8,000 gallons (30,000 liters) fuel tanks when the explosion happened Tuesday.

The blast buried Vigilante, who was the co-owner of the Bensalem gas station, and severely burned a part-time employee Frank Tomasiello.

Vigilante’s body was recovered from the rubble late Wednesday.

Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Rob Sponheimer tells The Applicant that Vigilante often used the vacuum cleaner to clear the vault, and it is unclear why Tuesday was different.

The explosion is excluded of an accident.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular